We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

We use our credit card to buy all of our groceries. That way, we save our cash for use in restaurants and stores where it is best to use cash. This has been working very well until Soriana at Plaza Carracol has decided to avoid the use of credit cards. No matter what card we try, it somehow never works at Soriana Plaza Carracol. Our cards work perfectly at other Soriana, Mega and Walmart and we even checked with our banks to see if there was a particularly problem.

There are no problems with our cards - our balance is paid up and we alerted our banks of our dates of travel to avoid having problems. SORIANA .LAZA CARRACOL IS THE PROBLEM. We have been in a situation where we had 1,000 pesos worth of groceries which we had to leave at the store. We have also seen other patrons in the same situation, all worried that their credit card was the problem. The option of course could have been to go to the nearest cash stop and withdraw money - but, we do not know the closest banks and do not wish to take a chance with an institution we do not know. From now on, we use Soriana Carracol only as a fast go to and do all of our important grocery purchases at Mega, other Soriana, Walmart and Cosco where are cards are accepted and honored.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 00:38
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,090 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

They accepted my credit card last month.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

There's a Banamex, National Bank of Mexico, across the parking lot, a lots safer than using a credit card.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 01:53
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
726 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

Weird. I have not had a problem there with my credit card. I also used mine last month several times! So sorry this happened to you.

Cheers

Deanna

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

JR, credit card use at a supermarket is quite safe.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,090 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

Not to mention the safety of credit cards at Soriana (which it is, as you mention, sioux --- very safe), Soriana also has the best exchange rate in town if someone is overflowing with dollars.

Two weeks ago, I was running out of pesos the day before I left so decided to buy my last groceries with USD. Had too many of those. The best rate I'd found within walking distance was at my hotel (12.52) and Soriana gave me change at 12.78. The cambios at Plaza Caracol that day (and much of the previous two weeks I was there, which were comparable to many on the street) were 11.90. In case that helps anyone.

Mentioned in this post
Plaza Caracol
Plaza Caracol
34 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

I should imagine it's some kind of technical problem (hopefully temporary).

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
551 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

No clue what happened to you we have used our credit cards this whole week maybe 3-4 times at Soriana Caracol Plaza. Ah the fun of denial embarrassment..I have found comida time can frequently be a time when credit cards might pose an issue also most times it is just a glitch..sorry that happened to you, been there done that but not at Soriana Plaza Caracol. :)

Mentioned in this post
Plaza Caracol
Plaza Caracol
34 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,090 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

Can I add something else, since I'm at Soriana at Plaza Caracol several times a week while in town, but I do FEEL for the OP and how awful that might have felt to have that many groceries stacked up and no other way to pay for them, if that was the case. I guess I'm there so often that I always have pesos, USD and credit cards and they take them all, so I always have a back-up plan. Can't imagine how bad it would be if they didn't take any of them.

For additional information, in case people might worry about this information though and be wary about going to Soriana. I found the Customer Service people at Soriana at Plaza Caracol, even though they speak no English and my Spanish is fairly basic, to be excellent. Friendly and helpful.

Funny example ---- I bought a bathing suit there last month, in the same size I'd bought in the past elsewhere in PV. Didn't see a Fitting Room so took it back to Villa del Palmar to try it on. Too snug. So, within a few hours, I took it back to Soriana and went to the Customer Service desk (which isn't labeled that way ---- it's more like a Cashier stand) and nobody there spoke English but they were nice to me and some other customers helped and I knew enough Spanish to explain it was too small (and I had the receipt) so they gave me my money back in pesos fairly quickly. Not so easy to return a bathing suit in the US, but it had the tags still on (and the little hygiene strip) so I was quite satisfied with the transaction.

In general, I've always found Soriana to be excellent in service and most cashiers speak some English and the baggers (who work for tips) are wonderful. Always polite when I give them pesos after going through the lines. So sorry to hear the OP had that experience but I've never heard of something like that before. All good experiences in the 14 years we've been shopping there, when it was Gigante.

I do feel for the OP though. So sorry to hear that.

Mentioned in this post
Plaza Caracol
Plaza Caracol
34 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa
Villa del Palmar Beach...
2,845 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

went to buy a tv at a great price in the electronics dept..credit card would not work.they would not go to another machine to try it.poor customer service since we also had groceries and went to their till and used the credit card with no problem for the groceries.they would not put the tv on the groceries till so i think their electronics dept is a different company that rents space in soriana.needless to say they did not make the sale

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SORIANA Plaza Carracol does not Accept Credit Cards

The electronics dept at Soriana is Sorianas. Unfortunately some emplyees do not think out of the box- if they were told ALL electronics MUST be rang-up in the electronics dept. then that is the rule they follow. Here is where you ask for a manager.

I was at Soriana yesterday and used my US Paypal credit card and it went through but I have been in other stores at other times when their CC system was down. Here is when I hit the ATM.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 03:28