We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice and Water

Anacortes
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ice and Water

Are the warnings on water, ice and fresh fruits still important in the classier hotels and restaurants? One would think there is some improvement over the past few years.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,856 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice and Water

Not just the "classier hotels" pretty much any hotel has purified water for table service. And ice mostly comes delivered from a plant (you can tell by the shape of it). It don't think things have improved over the "past few years" this has all been OK in PV for a long time.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice and Water

You can drink the water within the PV city limits. Outside...as in Nuevo I don't know, the hotel probably is....but I definitely wouldn't drink the water in the smaller surrounding villages. But, within the city it is fine in even the smallest hole in the wall. Some people say old pipes may make a difference. I don't know, but as far as what the city is producing....the water is very clean.

Even with that, many hotels.... not just the classy ones.....have installed additional water purifiying systems. All hotels and restaurants....or at least most, buy their ice from the ice factory. You can tell because it has a hole in it.

Unless you are very sensitive to water in other states even at home, you should be fine. But, bottled water is plentiful and easy to get in PV in any restaurant.

Fruit is usually washed for you, it's up to you to assume it has been, but the culinary precautions are excellent in many many restaurants in PV, even the smallest hole in the wall restaurants. Sure, you could eat something bad as could happen anywhere, but gone are the days when you just assume you're going to get sick because you're in Mexico.

If you haven't been to PV you're going to be surprised at the sophistication of Puerto Vallarta. It has become quite cosmopolitan, but still quaint.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice and Water

Agreed.

Trust everything except tap water and your hands.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ice and Water

We've been trusting the tap water for several years. Have never trusted our hands!! :-)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ice and Water

Viajero I don't understand your post, I think you assumed you were answering after Suze.

Bottom line, and I should have added......you have to make the decision how clean you think the cooking standards are in any given restaurant or hotel.

But, I drink the city water and when we have new people coming with us to PV, I don't tell them all is fine...just drink the water. I just drink the water and they get bottled and then after awhile they start drinking the city water too.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ice and Water

Whoops, I didn't see you sneak in there. Yes, I was agreeing with Suze, but I'll agree with you too. I was just trying to squeeze into a nutshell. :)

BTW for the OP, I trust the food, ice, salads, etc. all across Mexico, in all the tiny Mom-and-Pop restaurants even. They know what they're doing.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ice and Water

Well I wasn't sure what you meant because I thought you essentially said don't trust the tap water, or that's how I interpreted it, so to me that meant don't drink the water. :-)

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ice and Water

I'd guess that somewhere around 50% of the produce found in markets around SoCal is from Mexico, we also get a lot from Chile. Hasn't killed me here or in Mexico.

We usually drink tap water in PV, that hasn't killed us either, But as others have said, once you're outside of PV it's best to stick with bottled water.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 00:06
Seattle
Level Contributor
44,856 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ice and Water

I don't drink the tap water myself. I am normally provided with bottled water at my apartment or hotel. Just seems an easy and simple precaution that has served me well over the years.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ice and Water

I don't drink the tap water either...but I'm someone who won't drink the tap water in my own city.

The only time I got ill in PV was after chewing on ice cubes in my Sangria in Bucerias. So I'd second that motion to be careful outside of the city limits. I have ice in PV with no problems.