We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinco De Mayo

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cinco De Mayo

I have a question regarding Cinco de Mayo and the week just after.......MY wife are planning a 7 day trip to PV in late April or early May when the rates drop at the hotels.......We would love to experience some traditional festivities,if any,and I was wondering if coming in on May 4th would be ideal....Can anyone tell me what that week is like and will there be likely to have more festivities after Cinco de Mayo or would it better to come the week prior ? Also,where would be some good places to go to enjoy some of these celebrations ? THX in advance :)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinco De Mayo

Cinco de Mayo is not celebrated in Mexico, unless you're in Puebla. It's a USA celebration started by Corona Beer.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinco De Mayo

Just as Hallmark has all those holidays to sell cards, Cinco de Mayo is just a way for the bars to sell tequila and Mexican beer. If you want to attend a Cinco de Mayo party find a bar in LA and come to PV on the week after.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinco De Mayo

But it is still a public holiday,but no big deal outside Puebla.It actually is a bigger deal in the US then Mexico

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinco De Mayo

Ok that makes sense....Well thank you very much for taking the time for me :) I think we will still come first week of May,simply because its offs season and I can save some $$$ and then spend it locally in PV

Edited: 07 January 2014, 15:39
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinco De Mayo

May is a great time in PV. Shoulder season so you save some $, temps are in the 80's, low humidity, no rain and lots of sun. Been going in May for 20 years, it's a great time of year.

If you are staying at a resort, you may see an increase in Mexican families around May 10. That is their Mother's Day which is a big family holiday in Mexico right after Easter and Christmas.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinco De Mayo

May's a great time to go to PV. It's technically "off-season" (just barely) so you can get good hotel or apartment rates. As already clarified 5th of May isn't a big deal.

suze

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,020 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinco De Mayo

If you can wait until later in May, there is Restaurant Week, which makes things even better. Usually May 15-31 with hundreds of participating restaurants. Good way to try a wide variety of dining you might not normally seek out.

Riviera Nayarit...
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,750 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinco De Mayo

For really BIG celebrations, make sure you're in Mexico on Sept. 16th (Independence Day) or Nov. 17th (Revolution Day). Parades and all sorts of festivities.

9. Re: Cinco De Mayo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:22