We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PV Delicacies

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
PV Delicacies

Hi all,

Heading to PV in a few days (my 10th time about) but wondering if there are some interesting delicacies I have missed. We are planning on hitting up El Arrayan for their cricket tacos and the Cochinita Pibil. I have sampled most of the stranger things at taco stands... but any other suggestions for interesting or adventurous dishes?

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PV Delicacies

bump

canada
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PV Delicacies

Not too adventurous but what the hang....

Menudo is a traditional Mexican soup made with beef stomach (tripe) in broth with a red chili pepper base. Usually, lime, chopped onions, and chopped cilantro are added, as well as crushed oregano and crushed red chili peppers. (Cut and paste from Wikipedia)

It's also believed to be good medicine for a hangover.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PV Delicacies

We really enjoy the 'trotters' (pigs feet), and different kinds of pozoles served at Cenaduria Celia.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PV Delicacies

Thanks -- adding this to the list! :) Sounds fantastic!

Any idea where I can find this in PV?

Edited: 08 January 2014, 17:38
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PV Delicacies

This also sounds great! Def will check out! I really love 'variety' meats :)

canada
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PV Delicacies

You can get a "sample" of Menudo at the serve yourself section in Leys grocery store in Centro

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PV Delicacies

You can get Menudo and Pozole at the Municipal Market on Lázaro Cárdenas.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,506 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PV Delicacies

We've purchased pickled pig's feet at Mega. But much prefer how they are prepared at Cenaduria Celia -- the sauce is sure good, and the hint of vinegar just perfect.

I know that some of the meat vendors at the 'Municipal Market' (on Lazaro Cardenas) sell pig's feet, and we've been tempted to buy and prepare such at times during our stays. But with what you can get at Celia's, and the low cost of such, it hardly seems worth all the effort. We prepare our own here at home though - purchasing the feet, and having them cut for us, at a Chinese market.

I have yet to try menudo .. but we do tripe, tendon, and other such goodies (like chicken knees and feet) quite often at dim sum, at our favourite Chinese restaurant here.

The pozoles at Celia's are really like a "meal-in-a-bowl" - especially the one with "everything" in it. Inexpensive and sure tasty!!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PV Delicacies

Pozole is quite good...I prefer red.

Menudo, though supposedly good for a hangover, is not my thing..tried it gave me a hangover kidding :)

Go to Red Cabbage or Arrayan I believe and try Chiles en Nogada....traditional dish...served cold usually..

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PV Delicacies

Bezerk, thank you, so glad you mentioned Chiles en Nogada! LOVED it on the occasions we've dined at Red Cabbage. Been a few years since we last indulged. Am putting them back on this year's "To Eat" list. :)