We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there minivan taxis?

BC
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Are there minivan taxis?

We are heading to puerto Vallarta in three weeks and this time my daughter's boyfriend is joining us so there will be six of us, so are there minivan taxis or are we looking at two taxis? Bus isn't an option because my husband suffers from chronic pain and the stopping and starting on the buses just kills him.

Thx

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there minivan taxis?

I arrived in Puerto Vallarta last year in a group of 7 people (3 adults, 4 kids 9-11 years old). There were vans available at the airport to take us to our hotel. We were all able to take one van with our luggage.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,722 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there minivan taxis?

Yes, minivan taxis are available. Check the FAQ's in the upper right about airport taxi rates. The return rate to the airport will be about 60% of the outgoing rate.

They are also available around town and the rate is cheaper than the white federal airport taxis/vans.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there minivan taxis?

As mentioned above, there are lots of taxi vans available at the airport. However in town you may need to ask your hotel, or another taxi, to specifically request one, in which case there would likely be some wait time involved. There will be times when it would be easier to just grab two regular taxis, although that introduces the possibility of getting separated unless the destination is clear to everyone.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,383 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there minivan taxis?

There are lots of city taxi vans now, almost every sitio in PV seems to have at least one assigned to it.

I agree with OT that sometimes it might be easier to just grab two taxis, but you can request taxi vans now for groups as well.

Just be sure to note that if you have your hotel/condo call for a van, the cost is more than the regular zone rates, as they'll add a surcharge for a called in ride. The vans will be the regular city zone rate if they are the next available vehicle at the sitio stand, BUT only on passengers up to I believe 6 people...I'm not 100% sure on that number (it might be up to 4 or 5 people) but I recall last trip we had a group going in a van that was at the sitio and the price doubled because we were over the "persons" limit.

Mind you, even with the up-charge once you split the fare amongst your six passengers it's still dirt cheap.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 22:49
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there minivan taxis?

Depending on where you're going, I would totally use a private transfer for this. Super easy, cheap and waiting for you. myvallartaexperience.com has been the best one I've used and I've used a lot.

BC
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there minivan taxis?

Thanks guys! We have transpotation included in our flights and hotel it is for getting downtown and around town.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,383 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there minivan taxis?

If it's for getting around town, as noted there are now lots of vans at the sitios and the hotels will definitely call one if you need one and don't see it.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,053 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there minivan taxis?

Post 4 - Jenny thanks for your post, I learned something I didn't know about the city taxi vans. Thx

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there minivan taxis?

We have used the taxi vans when we had a large group. Just tell the doorman at you hotel and they can get one. If I remember, the price is about twice that of a regular taxi. And no, I'm not promoting the taxi van. But a good way to go with a group.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,383 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there minivan taxis?

NP Kansas - also of note if you have a taxi called to your hotel or condo to do a pickup, they add 10 pesos to the fare as a "convenience fee" or something.

We would often try to time it in the fall to get the vans at Sitio 4 by Café San Angel; he rotated with the other drivers and we could usually count on him being the first in line about once an hour. The only sitio I have not seen a city taxi van at, was Sitio 33 at Daiquiri Dicks. Still all the Nissan Sentras and smaller cars.

I think the most we ever paid for a taxi van with a group was 160 pesos, which is inexpensive when you divvy it up. And the vans are all newer vehicles.