We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biodegradable Sunscreen?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Biodegradable Sunscreen?

9 days days until we arrive in PV. So excited! Anyway, a friend of mine who recently went to Jamaica told me they required she wear biodegradable sunscreen when she went for her snorkeling and dolphin excursions. She also said it was rather expensive (the special sunscreen). I've never even heard of that so I'm wondering if this is something that is also required in Puerto Vallarta for these kinds of excursions. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen?

Have you checked Google? Chuck.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=biodegradable+sunscreen+brands&gbv=2&oq=biodegradable+sun&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.1.0l10.1469.5860.0.9016.17.10.0.7.7.0.125.875.9j1.10.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..0.17.984.-KH271wSGO0

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,201 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen?

It might be best if you contact Vallarta Adventures or any other tour company you are considering using in the Vallarta area, for the latest requirements.

A few years back (I think it was 2007), I'd planned some water activities in PV and read something from the tour company I had planned to use that I needed biodegradable sunscreen so I ordered it from a company called Mexitan online a few weeks in advance. That tour company recommended the sunscreen company so I wonder if they were related?

It doesn't look like you have much time to do that so it would be best to contact the tour companies. They would know. The last tour company I went into the water with was almost 2 years ago (on the Pirate Ship --- Marigalante) and they never mentioned it (verbally or in print) even though there were people snorkeling off our boat.

I have two guesses on this: 1) If it's really required, the tour company will sell it. 2) Someone on this forum will have had more recent experience than I have and they will give you a clearer answer to your question.

Regarding expense, it is more expensive but if you buy sunscreen in Puerto Vallarta, it's going to be more expensive than in the US anyway. I hope someone has very current information about the excursions where you get that close to the wildlife.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen?

There have been reports that you require biodegradable sun screen if you swim in the cenates or sink holes of the Yucatan around Cancun.That makes scientific sense because the aquatic life there lives in a closed environment like an aquarium.But open ocean in PV??From a scientific view point it does not make sense

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen?

I agree, seems ridiculous for the open ocean. But a good way to make some extra income :)

Edited: 16 January 2014, 05:00
Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
653 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen?

You can buy biodegradable sunscreen in most places that you buy regular sunscreen. It was a few $$ more, but no need to order online. We purchased it for snorkeling near Playa Del Carmen, but have never been asked to use it on the Pacific Side.

Alberta
Level Contributor
431 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen?

Everywhere we have gone on a tour that has a reef has required reef safe sunscreen not just biodegradeable. There are certain sunscreens that say biodegradeable but still cause damage to coral. Zinc Oxide is a reef safe sun block but leaves you white very cheap if you buy it from a pharmacy. Here is an article from National Geographic …nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/01/080129-…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen?

All right,Reef Safe sunscreen it is then if you are going to be in the coral reefs.But not for the pool or sunbathing on the beach etc.Thanks CB.I learned something new today

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,222 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen?

If the dolphin excursion you're noting is the one in the tanks with the dolphins, they will not let you in the tank with any kind of sunscreen that is not biodegradable, or you must rinse off completely before getting in with them. Those were the rules when I did the captive dolphin tour and they were strict about it ( but I did still see an oil slick on the water in the tank so clearly there are folks who think the rules didn't apply to them...)-: )

No rules on sunscreen for the swims with the wild dolphins, as that is in open water (and personal opinion only, a much better tour).

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen?

Thanks, everyone. I'm not exactly sure yet which tours we're doing, I would just like to be prepared. Yes, pvjenny, that open ocean swim with the dolphins sounds amazing.

edmonton
Level Contributor
68 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen?

I just bought some at sage! which is a wellness store here in Alberta! not sure in you have them in Vancouver. Check any vitamin stores they usually have it as well.