We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Weeks Membership Purchasing Problems & Resolutions

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Weeks Membership Purchasing Problems & Resolutions

CANTO DEL SOL CAME THRU AFTER A SALES PITCH MISUNDERSTANDING

After a misunderstanding last month in December during a week’s stay at Canto del Sol at a sales presentation dealing with a new vacation weeks' membership for use all over the world that I ended up purchasing, I returned to the United States wondering whether we had been taken.

The program that I had purchased had a lot of what the salesman had said but did not have the specific pricing that I was told it had, and now I was far away and out of sight.

One of the items I had initialed at the end of the sales presentation when I had decided to purchase stated that I acknowledged having received a program membership booklet. When I read over the documents later that evening in our hotel room, I noticed that I had not received it. The next day I requested to borrow one of their few copies that they said they had of the booklet so that I could look it over. I did read it and found a few discrepancies from what I had understood in the sales presentation.

Before the end of our one-week vacation at Canto del Sol, on the day before our departure, I was provided my own copy by the salesman. From what it stated in the membership booklet I determined—even though the program had its advantages, including several choices of very low cost cruises—that the program was not something that my family and I could make good use of. It did not provide the specific advantages that the salesman had stated and that had convinced me to buy.

Soon afterwards, I contacted the Canto del Sol sales department and its management team, explained the situation, and asked for help. Something that I was not expecting after reading of so many negative experiences online that dealt with this type of situation, was to be able to resolve much of anything. I had put down a down payment and now it was not really a case of buyer´s remorse, but a case where I felt that I had been misled by the salesman.

When I contacted the sales manager from Canto del Sol and his staff and explained my situation, I was surprised, but skeptical, about the concern and empathy they expressed. They responded to my one phone call and all of my emails. I was told that they would make every effort to resolve the issues to my satisfaction. Still, my skepticism continued.

However, within a short period of time, we came to a mutual agreement satisfactory to both Canto del Sol and my family. To me this was pretty impressive being that they are in Mexico and I am here in the United States and we had discussed almost everything via email.

My commitment/membership was cancelled and the down payment on my credit card is being offset by a week´s stay at the resort.

It seems that more often than not, that with these type of dealings, the buyer is stung or angry because the reluctance on the part of those in charge to do anything to right the situation.

I think from my experience here that the management´s approach prioritizes wanting guests to return and have positive experiences and to tell others about them. Because of this, and actually doing something about it, they appear to be a step ahead with their willingness to work with their customers to try to make them happy by resolving problems head on.

Alberta
Level Contributor
386 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Weeks Membership Purchasing Problems & Resolutions

That is awesome if they deal with timeshare issues like that it makes me want to look into staying there. I have looked at that hotel before but we won a trip this year at a different hotel. Thanks for sharing a great customer service report.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 21:12
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,768 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Weeks Membership Purchasing Problems & Resolutions

Good to hear a great customer service report in regards to timeshare or vacation club. Thanks for sharing.

3. Re: Vacation Weeks Membership Purchasing Problems & Resolutions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:18