We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Del Palmar

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Del Palmar

Just wondering if anyone will know. We are staying at Villa Del Palmar in April and will have friends staying at a different resort at the same time. Does anyone know if there is a fee for them to come and visit us for the day, use the pool etc and stay for dinner in our unit?

Calgary, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Del Palmar

We have just returned from a week at Villa Del Palmar and there is no charge for your guests to come and spend the day with you or have dinner with you in your unit. You will be charged if they stay overnight, and as you might expect, also for any drinks or food you order by the pool, etc.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Del Palmar

Just returned from Villa del Palmar and had a friend visit me one day. This is the process:

Go to the Front Desk and tell them the name of your guest. They will fill out a form with their name and your name and your room number. There is no charge for this but the pass will say "3 hours." You might be able to negotiate for more time but when they wrote down "3 hours," I didn't ask for more as my guest was only going to be there for 2 hours.

The desk will give you a copy so take it to the security entrance station and give the guard a copy of the form. It's best to tell the guard how your guest will be arriving --- private car, taxi or on foot. If arriving by vehicle, they will let your guest in, up to the lobby.

As said above, no guest can stay overnight without a charge but if your guest plans to stay all day, you would have to make that clear when the desk fills out the form.

There is a security guard and gate at the entrance. If you don't fill out the form, your guest cannot get in. Even as a registered guest, I always had to give my name and room number when entering by car. Security is low-key but well-present there. The guards generally know who is a guest and who is not.

If your guests are arriving by foot and you know the lay of the land, you could probably walk them in but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. Either way, there is no charge and I hope your friends and you enjoy VdP. Very relaxing place.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,732 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Del Palmar

Just to add to your question. Your guesrs will not have a problem eating or drinking at the resort but it is an all-credit resort so the charges will either go on your room tab or have to be put on a credit card.

It has been a while since I have gotten a guest pass, but the passes usually state that a guest must be off the premises by 10 p.m.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 23:26
Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Del Palmar

Thank you Marly and Kat. Have been going there for the last 11 years just about every year but have never had friends staying at the same time and wanted to make sure I followed the rules. Wish my friends would just make things easier and stay there too. Love love love this resort.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Del Palmar

OK --- so you definitely have the lay of the land and I feel the same way about the place. So very comfortable. If you stay every year, maybe your friends will love it a lot and join you next year?? Makes it easier to make connections. I made a bunch of new friends there in December. Fun to see the same people every year or so. It's like home. Have fun.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Del Palmar

been there a number of times as a guest of my friend. Didn't sigh in or anything. Just gave her room number when we arrived and went right up.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Del Palmar

Really? That's interesting as the "resort rules" make it very clear that a non-registered guest has to have a pass. That's why the rest of us go through the procedures.

I'm sure you aren't a danger to anyone but I can't see the point of having rules if they don't enforce them. Sure, as an owner, I could probably skirt the rules because the guards know me and I know the property but --- no offense against you ---- some of us are paying maintenance dues for certain things (such as security) to make sure all guests have a wonderful experience and feel like VdP is home and is safe.

If just anyone can walk in, why am I paying my maintenance dues for the security people?

This is very interesting.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Del Palmar

We were interested in renting from a friend who owns there, so last year while in P.V. we went over for a little recon, we walked right past security like we owned the place, I guess they thought we did since nobody stopped or said anything to us.

Liked the place & rented from our friends, so we will be in a 1 bedroom there in about 5 weeks.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Del Palmar

As a side note, I stayed there over New Years week and did notice if on foot, no one asked any questions for security purposes or such, but if in car then yes we had to give name and room number etc..

I liked the resort but I did find this ability to just walk in even with security folks right there a tad disenchanting.

If I were an owner I would most likely want to clarify their security. I am still working on my review and will include that issues but otherwise, all was good. :)

We were given paperwork that did give the rules as above for guests having guests not staying there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Del Palmar

Thanks for confirming, bezerk, as I always figured they gave me a pass because they recognize me from previous trips and am an owner (even if I'm not staying there and just going to visit friends there).

I don't want to go into detail about what I think is happening, but it has to do with likely allowing tourists in (on foot, without checking) and possibly making sure that nationals aren't coming in off the bay and beach.

The other resort that it's pretty easy to get into is Lindo Mar, because La Playita (the restaurant) is there.

There's no reason to be paranoid but sometimes resorts have wristbands (and Guest Passes) for a reason, much as I personally don't like the wristbands. VdP and Lindo Mar do not have wristbands so ----- just something to think about. I'm not concerned about my own safety but you just never know, with newbie vacationers, etc.

When I was a registered guest at Canto del Sol, Sunset Plaza and Plaza Pelicanos Grand, I had to pass security just to get in each day, after going to lunch, and I'm not very dangerous looking.

So much for the Guest Pass rules.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 01:33