We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta weather vs Cancun weather?

Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta weather vs Cancun weather?

I found a nice resort in Puerto Vallarta for the first week of April but the travel agent said that Cancun would be warmer. When researching averages online, I don't see a major difference. Is Cancun really that much warmer in early April?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta weather vs Cancun weather?

Shouldn't be any different it's about the same Latitude, maybe the Cancún booking was more profitable for them ? :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,154 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta weather vs Cancun weather?

Having been in Cancun in early April and many times in PV in early April (different years), they are about the same. Might vary by year, due to global weather changes.

At that time of year, they are both mild so that should not be your main criteria for booking. There are many other criteria which set them apart, including your budget or how long the flights are (and if you can get a non-stop).

At any rate, skip the weather comparisons (very much the same) and focus on what they each have to offer you. Since you're on the Puerto Vallarta Tripadvisor Forum, guess what we'll say? ;=)) Feel free to ask further questions and have a great time when you get here in April.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Wausau, WI
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta weather vs Cancun weather?

Your travel agent said that? She/he is either lying or drunk. Or maybe both. There won't be any difference in weather to even talk about. (I've been to both multiple times).

I guarantee either one will be 50+ degrees warmer than IL. Book PV. It's cheaper and more funner.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta weather vs Cancun weather?

I'm a travel agent and been to both many times and in April the weather will be similar. I would book based on which hotel or resort you like best and which activities you prefer to do in the area. Either will be great, we alternate between the two every year because we love them both, but we stay in the Mayan, south of Cancun.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta weather vs Cancun weather?

From my experiences, I would disagree with the above that PV is cheaper than Cancun. Airfare alone between Chicago and Cancun is oftentimes $100 less than a trip to PV. I would, however, agree completely that PV is "more funner". No question about that.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,972 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta weather vs Cancun weather?

Yes, in early April the weather should be about the same....but on average March is the windiest month on the Mayan side, so really the weather in PV should be 'better'! That wind gets very annoying.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta weather vs Cancun weather?

Helpuican, I was thinking the same thing. Right at this moment, it's 65 degrees warmer in PV than Chicago, and 60 degrees warmer than downstate. So, M081882, what we can tell you is either place will be better than home.

8. Re: Puerto Vallarta weather vs Cancun weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:19