We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When you leave the US, let the US know

United States
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
When you leave the US, let the US know

When you leave the United States, it takes only about 5 minutes to fill out a destination registration with the U.S. Department of State. If there should be an emergency evacuation or someone should desperately need to reach you, the Department of State would know how to do it. However, they can't help if they don't know where you are. You can register on line in about 5 minutes: …state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

Just an FYI to those who might want to do it. I always register here and I also leave itinerary at home with family but when I am gone, this will notify me faster if needed than any of my family members trying to get ahold of me.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When you leave the US, let the US know

Deana777, that is a great idea.

Actually I will use it today. It is 10 f (-12 c) with wind chill of -17f (-27c), snowing and blowing. Tuesday it is suppose to be -7f (-21 c) and wind chill -35 f (-37c). So, if I leave tomorrow. the US gov will know not to send the St. Bernard to my house with the whiskey barrel to save me. They will know that I have gone to JR's house in PV. JR move off the couch I am coming with my pillow. I will only stay until I find an apartment on the Southside for $350.00 for a month. Don't worry my shorts, ugly hat and T-shirts with Mole stains wont take up much room. I only need my yellow mangos for food so I wont eat you out of house and home. (Oh, those are in season in March, don't worry we will figure something out.) Please PM your address. I don't think it's a good idea to post it on here, you don't all of Canada and US coming to visit tomorrow. (Wow, did I have fun writing that!!! I cant take this cold anymore!!)

Deana777: You are giving good advise and thank you for the link.

Edited: 25 January 2014, 20:38
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When you leave the US, let the US know

Ditto Buckyfan,

This extremely long period of cold sucks.

"Funman"

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When you leave the US, let the US know

Real men don't talk about wind chill!!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When you leave the US, let the US know

It's so cold that the local flasher was caught *describing* himself

to women.

"Funman"

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When you leave the US, let the US know

LOL and slap the table, Funman.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When you leave the US, let the US know

If they want to know where I am, all they have to do is look up my ATM & credit card records, and trace where I'm connecting to email from. Easiest thing in the world for them, apparently.

Seriously though, I wouldn't register unless I was going to a war zone.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When you leave the US, let the US know

We've been with Kelly Trainor when she received a frantic call trying to reach a couple who was "somewhere in Puerto Vallarta" about the death of a close fami, y member. No one knew the hotel name, and amazingly she found them.

So even if you don't want to register with the government, make sure several people know how to find you quickly.

United States
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When you leave the US, let the US know

Wow. Good point sioux4noff.

And...... Who is Kelly Trainor?

Edited: 25 January 2014, 23:33
Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
700 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When you leave the US, let the US know

The people that need to know where I am already know. Big Brother doesn't need to.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,732 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When you leave the US, let the US know

For me it isn't a big brother issue, my family knows where I am and how to reach me before i ever leave home for the airport. Cell phones and internet are too easily available to be MIA from someone that needs to get ahold of you. I call forward my home phone to my cell phone everytime I travel.