We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Old Town

Is it safe to stay in the Old town area

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Town

Oh, oh oh, Howard.....what a question to ask on this forum! LOL Some people may chime in if they are not to tired of answering that question.

Please go toward the top where the Green Search button is, go left and type in Old town, south side, romantic zone and safety. You will get all that info.

Down and dirty answer.......YES! You will enjoy the area and have a blast at all the shops, restaurants, and sports bars.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Town

lol thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,584 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Town

Yes, it's "safe" to stay in "Old Town". What kind of problems are you anticipating?

Do you mean staying in a hotel downtown as opposed to staying only on-property at a resort? Or what?

Edited: 27 January 2014, 21:59
USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Town

Rule #1 of Old Town:

Watch where you put your feet at all times. Crooked sidewalks, worn cobblestones, massive potholes. It's pretty much a death trap. I've walked millions of miles in Old Town and still have to use google maps to find places because I have no idea what it looks like (eyes on feet). May the force be with you.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Town

Is it safe compared to staying at a convent? No. Is it safe compared to staying almost anyplace else in the world? Yes. Have fun and don't worry. Chuck.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,354 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Town

Every time I click on a vague forum title and find out it's about "that subject" again, I feel like I've been Rickrolled. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll

:)

It takes a fine-tooth comb, but the answer is in here:

…state.gov/content/passports/english/alertsw…

...or in less detail, here:

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,584 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Town

It really helps if people describe their concerns more specifically.

Is it safe as far as you won't be killed by the drug cartel. Odds are in your favor. Personal harm or injury? Not gonna happen. Might you get pickpocketed while drunk in a bar acting foolish? Possibly. Lose your wallet on the beach? Maybe. And as already described most likely "danger" is falling off a high curb, tripping on a cobblestone, running into a guidewire when you aren't looking where you're going.

suze

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Town

Safer than going to a mall or school in the U.S. ! and Justin Beiber stays in Punta de Mita when he's here.

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Town

Lol bzy1!

10. Re: Old Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 01:05