We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

My husband and I have frequented many AI's in Mexico and the Caribbean throughout the last 10 years and like to try a different hotel brands each time. I have always wanted to try this property and we finally just booked it for this coming March. After all the negative reviews about sickness, the food and now sand flea infestations on the beach I am a little worried to say the least about staying at this property...

Can anyone please give me a little positive input on anything about this property other than it's location as we would prefer to stay out of the "hotel zone" and on a more secluded beach type atmosphere.

Thanks in advance!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

Go to TA review for the hotel last 4 or 5 years in Feb, March and April. That should help

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

Lots of posts and feed back about getting sick there but ...........

Nice secluded beach, the hotel is a nice venue, the guys running the small beach restaurants down from the hotel are the best, Yelapa pie lady comes to your beach, Tony's is in the town of Mismaloya, very quick bus ride into Old Town and back, and these are just a few of the best of this area.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

I only know about the resort from reading posts and reviews here on TA. The people getting sick thing has been going on at that property for years now. There are other choices to the south of the city besides that one property.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

That is exactly why I chose it! Senior Cayotte I am just a little nervous and really wanted to hear something great about it despite all the bad reviews.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 00:27
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,789 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

In the illness department things are looking pretty good so far. A very few have gotten sick but who knows what from...it's not pervasive now. In the past, once future guests were convinced that the illness was pervasive, many were able to cancel and stay elsewhere. Depending on how you're booking....there is always that possibility.

Yes there seem to be some little biters on this beach this year, whatever they are. I got bit in December and I've never had this happen when I've gone out there and never used repellent. But, they weren't bad..just little tiny red bumps, not the super itchy ones and mine were gone within a couple days. Just spray yourself when you're going to be outside.

I love Mismaloya beach and I walk from one end all the way down to the point to the set of Night of the Iguana and back. I like the people that run and work in the restaurants too, make sure you go there, don't just stay up by the hotel or you won't have as much fun or be able to appreciate the quaintness of that beach. And there are vendors making a living on that beach, but a lot of them are fun and interesting people...so shop from your lounger and enjoy talking with them.

Given the reviews at times, not everything is going to be perfect, it's not a brand new place but as long as you don't need the best of everything, you'll probably like it.

And btw, the reviewer that said they paid 350 pesos to go to town. That's not the rate, so they are either confused or were taken advantage of. The cab should be around 140 pesos, I'm not saying exactly 140 pesos, but no way is the normal price 350. Take the bus into town for 80 pesos, lots of tourists use the bus in PV....it's great...it's cultural and interesting. If you come back after 10 pm you'll have to take a cab as the buses stop running...but don't let them overcharge you.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 00:34
Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

A little typo by Kansas. The bus from Mismaloya to town is 8 pesos not 80 pesos. Just an assist on my part.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,789 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

Thank You very much! :-) I guess that 0 sneaks in there because I sure don't buy anything at home that is priced in a single digit LOL.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

I have been and toured so many AI's in mexico and this is one of my favorites. Their standard regular rooms are much better than other standard rooms and they are huuuge. Try to get in the south tower so if you are in your room you can look over Mismaloya beach. We enjoyed everything about it, but you have to know it's a narrow beach. I know there are always people here who talk about sickness, but in 18 years of being a travel agent, I've not had one client get sick (and I've been there, sent by brother in law there, sister neice and nothing). For sure go to Tony's for seafood in the village of Mismaloya, some of the best I've ever had anywhere

Go and enjoy your trip:)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
343 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

I stayed there a couple years ago for 10 days and LOVED IT! The service was amazing and the food pretty good for an AI. I'd suggest upgrading to Preferred club for better alcohol & room service option. The beach is nice and secluded and I actually really enjoyed the vendors. My traveling companion got a little sick while we were there but that's a chance you take in Mexico. I honestly loved this hotel. I'll follow with a link to my review. Enjoy!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
519 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any positive feedback on The Barcelo' in Mismaloya?

I read several years of reviews back when this was a hot topic here and it seemed to be seasonal. I know some people were really, really sick.