We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in PV?

Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
where to stay in PV?

We are just starting to do our research and plan on going to PV for our first time in Jan 2014. I have read many posts and see comments about the south side v.s. downtown PV. We are looking for something for a family- 50yr old Mom, 22 yr old daughter, 25 year old son, 18 year old son, and lively 80yr old grandma. Any advice? At the time we don't plan on doing an all inclusive.

Prince George...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in PV?

The downtown/romantic zone area is awesome. Everything you need is right there. You can look for a condo to rent on vrbo

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
604 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in PV?

I like to spend time in both parts. 1 week in a time share on the beach north of old town, and few days in the downtown area.

Its a different ambience downtown although its also become a huge gay tourist area. The downtown area is mostly budget lodgings.

We seem to have more fun downtown though, and everythings so compact with restaurants nearby and the beach is actually much better then some areas where it is too rocky to be enjoyable (Los pelicanos hotel for instance). People like to let their hair down and party in Andales, or go to live music at Roxy's and it sure beats the boring beach chair book reading dont bother me attitude at the hotels all over Vallarta. Since you are not doing an all inclusive hotel I think that a hotel outside of the old town would be rather boring.

How long are you staying? It says you are going in Jan but its now Feb?

I could recommend the Hotel Los Arcos in old town. We had an oceanview 3 person suite and a regular room the last time and it wasn't too expensive. We were able to cook meals in our room. I really like the party atmosphere at the hotel and in the neighboorhood.

I do not recommend Nuevo Vallarta. Its too far from all the fun.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 03:52
Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in PV?

Okay, thanks! I must have misunderstood other posts for whatever reason I was thinking the south end was the romantic zone and downtown was the old town? And I realized I said jan 2014, but we are going in 2015. Oops!

Edited: 02 February 2014, 03:55
Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in PV?

We are thinking about a week.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in PV?

The Romantic Zone, Old Town, Viejo Vallarta, and the South Side are all the same place. On the map below the only name used of those 4, is the South Side. (city has had trouble getting a name to stick for that area :-))

Downtown is north of that area, meaning on the north side of the river. The maps will help you see how things are layed out. They run N to S, so you can move up or down at the bottom of each map.

vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

If you don't want AI, you would be best off to stay as close to downtown or the south side as possible. If you aren't needing a resort then a condo or a timeshare would be good for you because you would have a kitchen. We stay in condos and have stayed in timeshares in the past. I didn't cook anything except breakfast....so you can do things anyway you like in a condo or timeshare.

There are various places you can stay without going AI, but you'll probably want to be close in if you want to dine around. I should add that you can have a kitchen as mentioned above, at Playa Los Arcos. You couldn't all stay in that one room but by being nearby you would still have space to get together.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 04:22
Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in PV?

Okay, thank you! I had not thought about a condo. I did plan on most likely needing two rooms for the hotel though.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in PV?

I would highly recommend a condo in the southside. You will have much more space for everyone than you would have in two hotel rooms. Check VRBO, where you can search by area of PV. Some of the condo buildings that are right on the beach are Vista del Sol, Plaza Mar, Plaza Dorada, La Palapa. There are others that are a short walk to the beach. We stayed at Selva Romantica a few years ago and it is lovely there. Last year we rented a two bedroom condo at Vista del Sol, and this year we are trying a two bedroom at La Palapa.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 05:14
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in PV?

KansasPVGal -- thanks for clearing that up for me, too! I was a bit confused about the different names being tossed around for the various areas :)

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in PV?

Although I haven't been to PV yet (we go in three weeks), I would also agree on renting a condo rather than staying in a hotel if you are in need of multiple rooms. We've done that in the Caribbean and in Europe, as well as in the states, and it works out great! You have more space than cramming into multiple hotel rooms and you typically have more amenities. Even if you don't cook in (which we don't, either) it's so nice to have a refrigerator for some basic provisions, etc. In addition to VRBO, you can search for condo rentals here on TA, as well.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in PV?

RangMX I think you're confused about the downtown area, there's no budget lodging there ! I think you mean the south side of town - south of the Rio Cuale ?