We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fairdale, Kentucky
4 posts
Save Topic
FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

I am currently battling breast cancer and have been selected by a cancer charity to take a dream vacation in Mexico. I am so excited but need help deciding which to choose from....

My choices are as follows:

Buganvilias Resort Vacation Club in Puerto Vallarta

Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta

Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta

I enjoy activity on the beach, live music and entertainment, people watching, night life, and shopping. I will be traveling with my mother whom has been my caregiver through both cancer diagnosis and she is my best friend. We are looking for a great time, beautiful resorts, and accommodations that will leave us with priceless memories.

Please help me choose from the above listed locations/resorts and provide feedback to help me make this a true dream vacation!

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
585 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

Avoid both the Mayan properties, especially Nuevo Vallarta. It is a huge resort, you need a tram to get around it. Its way too far from Puerto Vallarta proper to enjoy it. You need to take long taxi rides to get there. The other Mayan property in Puerto Vallarta is not as large but still involves lots of walking getting from the main desk to the rooms. Its situated at the Marina which isnt a bad spot per se, but for a first visit to Vallarta you should stay in close to town so you can visit the Malecon (boardwalk), markets, and shops.

I have not stayed at the Sheraton Buganvillas , but have seen the grounds . It has a nice beach, huge pools, and is very centrally located only a short taxi or bus ride from downtown Puerto Vallarta and restaurants and shopping. They also have a weekly Mexican Fiesta party that you will love, and other nightly entertainment and an activities staff for bingo, water sports activities etc.

I would go for the Buganvillas. I have stayed at both the Mayan properties and while great resorts I find the staff rather stuffy and we just never had an overall exceptionally enjoyable experience there. They would not give us Ocean View rooms even though there were availabilites (the hotel was 1/4 full! ) since we were not members of their club. Once was enough for each of those resorts. I like to stay closer to town nowdays and all the excitement!

Edited: 07 February 2014, 02:20
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

God bless you and good luck with your situation.

I have never stayed at any of these resorts--however I would stay in Puerto Vallarta instead of Nuevo because I love pv---others that stay in Nuevo love the rsorts and beaches.

hope ya get some good answers

tempe arizona
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

I have been to Puerto Vallarta many times and you do not want to stay at any Mayan Property. I have stayed at Buganvilias Resort Vacation Club in Puerto Vallarta. It is a very nice place. you are very close to downtown and lots of restaurants. you will enjoy your stay Puerto Vallarta is a very beautiful place and the people are so warm and nice. Go to the Happy Lobster for dinner it is not far from Buganvilias Resort about a 4 or 5$ cab ride.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

I'm no expert on any of the resorts you have offered, but I would also highly recommend you stay in Puerto Vallarta. The Buganvilias Resort - that's the Sheraton, right? If yes that's the one I'd choose.

suze

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

I am no expert on PV.But the Mayan resorts are known Mexico wide for being hard sell on time share.I would not put it past them to pressure you into buying a time share.They did to this a couple I know with a dying child sent to Mexico by the Make a Wish foundation.Nasty insensitive people

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,411 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

I would stay closest to PV!! As well you will love the Malecon on a weekend evening.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

Angie: Here is a map so you can see where things are located. Do research on the Malecon, Southside, Centro, Banderias Bay. These are the different sight seeing areas in Purerto Vallarta. Nuevo Vallarta is north about 35 to 45 minutes from Puerto Vallarta the city. It is basically beach with resorts that have All Inclusive (stay at the resort and relax) where as Puerto Vallarta is an actual city with restaurants, shopping, history, the malecon, etc. It would be based on your condition when you travel to Puerto Vallart as to which resort is the best place to stay. If you want to rest, be waited on hand and foot, all the food and drink you could want, with maybe a short trip into the town of Bucerias, then go to Nuevo Vallarta. If you have energy, pep and get up and go, then Vallarta is the most wonderful walking town you could want. Taxis are around $4 usd to almost anywhere, and buses are around 60 cents usd from one end of town to the other. The roads are beautiful cobblestones so either transportation will be bumping and jerky. Many sidewalks have been updated but there are still a few that are uneven and broken...no problem but you must be alert. Puerto Vallarta has what you need, you just need to decide what that is. Only you know your condition.

You will have a great time no matter where you stay.

http://vallartainfo.com/

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

Angie: Go to the stop of this page and click on hotels. Put in each name in the search panel and read reviews of each resort. Go back to the same time last year as you will be going this year. That will give you a better picture of what happens during that time. Also go to YouTube and type in Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta for videos. There is a series "We did your home work for you." that is very good. Also go to the right of this page and read the Top Questions. They will answer a lot of your questions.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,670 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

I agree with buckeyfans posts..with that let me say...I have stayed at all 3 places...

If you stay at Sheraton Bouganvillas I do not suggest the All Inclusive option, I was very disappointed. I stayed on the timeshare side so the room was spacious. The resort is large. I found the staff a bit iffy..not exactly running to help etc. The location is good for walking to malecon if your energy level is up to that...The beach is fair, quite rocky for the most part.

Mayan Palace in PV, is located in the marina which I really personally like that area. The rooms are nice but some are worn per say. Food onsite is good. Marina area with tons of good restaurants is an easy walk. I liked it quite a bit there actually. The beach is quite small though.

The Grand Mayan in NV is very nice. Rooms are nice, wave pool , beautiful grounds. Restaurants on site but pricey and restaurants close by as well if you choose. Beach is the best in Nuevo, as opposed to PV actually.

I have always found staff to be just fine at Mayan properties.

The only issue with them is tough timeshare sales, but if you just say no they will not bother or hassle you. The GM will have the best amenities of the three.

Keep in mind as has been said NV and PV are not the same...NV is more pristine and resort like whereas PV is an actual city...

I stay at and like both areas. I too am a breast cancer survivor...so where I would stay would depend on my energy levels. If I was to be low on energy and want to relax, be waited on and enjoy ocean, pool, and such I would pick Grand Mayan. If I wanted and had energy I might pick one of the two in PV. Cabs and buses are cheap. But not per say from PV to NV and vice versa due to distance.

I wish you luck in your journey with this beast...it sure is a roller coaster ride, I am 5 years out from BMX...enjoy your trip. Sending you hugs!!!

I do own at Grand Luxxe which is part of Mayans..but I was not high pressured nor had any issues.

Gresham, Oregon
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FREE trip to Puerto Vallarta - where to stay???

I am a long time owner at the Sheraton, so I do have a very definite opinion. I have been to both the other properties, and still prefer the Sheraton Bouganvilias overall. The location is near prefect for us, and with some of the newly announced plans for the southern lot next door, it will be a very exciting place to be, in coming years.

The villa style timeshare buildings face the large pool,or the southern ocean view, & downtown, with the tower building to the side. Try to get into the villa buildings...the units are spacious. The kitchens went through an upgrade in 2013, with new dining set,granite counter top, microwave repositioning, and a full size refrigerator. The bathroom was upgraded, and the bathing vault is huge, with one of the deep soak tubs in a regular bath arrangement. A king size bed, hard as typical, with upscale bed linens. A safe, in the ample closet. We were tickled before last years upgrades, and just as tickled now, with the changes and the 2 new flatscreens.

If you desire to be left alone, you can talk to management, or if you're feeling well, explore the beautiful grounds, sit in an ocean front or pool front lounge, or walk the beach. The beach takes a lot of hits. It is rocky, exceptionally so, in 1 spot...but very walkable to north or south. There is a small area set aside for guests, with small palapa umbrellas and seats. Close to town, you can either walk or grab a bus outside the hotel portion of the resort.

One of the best things about the Sheraton are the people, from the 1st contact at the 800 number, to the reservations lady, to the bellmen, to the waiters, to the concierge ...and even the timeshare people. They are all politely concerned that you have the best time, and will help you attain that, if you just ask. Many are longtime employees, and take your vacation as seriously as if it was their own.

Don't buy the AI. Too many great places to eat, close by and into town. The Thursday Fiesta and the Sunday brunch are well worth the cost. The daily breakfast buffet is good, but expensive when you compare.

There is a large grocery store 2-3 blocks north of the resort with everything possible to stock your unit up, if need be.