We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

Oregon
Level Contributor
378 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

OK...Thinking about taking mom to PV soon and had questions on areas. I am familiar with Mismaloya, Malecon and somewhat the romantic zone. So, not really interested in the Malecon but perhaps a pocket area that will suit her shopping needs and easy to stroll(she is 80)while fulfilling my swimming, beach walks? Easy access to eateries and beach bars...

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,159 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

Basillio Badillo in the romantic zone is a good shopping street for your mom due to it's newer wide sidewalk. There are many different types of shops so it's always a good place to start. For the flea market style I suggest the island on the Rio Cuale because once again it's not cramped and the sidewalk is wide. Los Muertos Beach is also a great beach for relaxing and vendor shopping.

Given the above, the romantic zone/south side would be a good place for you. You'll be able to do your beach walks on Los Muertos while she safely walks, and there is dining galore nearby. In that area (without hills) the area around Olas Altas would be best. There are also condos available in that area right on the beach.

Just about all suggestions will depend on your budget, time of year and who's going....just you and mom?, if so would you sleep in the same bed if you had a one bedroom condo or are others going with you?

There is always the Marina because it would be an easy place for her to walk, but your selection of shopping and dining would be less than the romantic zone. But in the Marina you'll find higher end accommodations ....but just depends on your budget for suggestions.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,695 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

Southside/Zona Romantica has everything you want. this is the area south of downtown/Centro and just south of the Rio Cuale, a river that cuts the Old Town area in two.

You can look at Hotel Eloisa, Casa Andrea, Vallarta Sun, The Tropicana, Hotel Playa Los Arcos/Dona Susana/Los Arcos Suites... to name a few places to stay in that area.

All the streets are lined with shops, restaurants, cafes, galleries. There are two Farmers Markets on Saturday morning (on at the Lazaro Cardenas plaza and one at Paradise Community Center).

suze

Edited: 07 February 2014, 23:19
Oregon
Level Contributor
378 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

Sounds good. I really would like to find a hotel with two rooms or if inexpensive enough where we can get our own rooms. We have had a "travel together but separately" technique over the years that has really worked even staying at different hotels nearby(thus getting the benefits of both). We are both very independent and this way she has someone to carry her bags traveling ;). $65/Room might be fine. Bare bones but clean ok. How is the swimming in the Zone? I really loved the swimming in Mismaloya area. Deep and warm. Also, I would like to take her to Sayulita but I know the local bus would kill her back(I almost bounced thru the roof last Spring) and the taxi costs would kill us. Any way smoother way to get there?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,159 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

I wouldn't consider Tropicana or Casa Andrea if your Mom doesn't want to walk up and down hills to get back and forth, unless she doesn't mind taking a cab back and forth to Olas Altas.

Also some of the less expensive places will have stairs to the rooms, so how is she with stairs? I know Playa Los Arcos has an elevator, as does Casa Dona Susanna (it's also adults only with rooftop pool and only a block from the beach), and some of those mentioned above will have rooms on the first floor.

Yes, Los Muertos is good for swimming particularly just to the north of the pier and anywhere south of the pier. Farther north it can get rocky where you enter the water.

I know there are different bus types, so maybe there is a better bus you can take to Sayulita? Someone else will know.

What time of year are you considering? It can make a difference with price.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 15:33
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
774 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

we love southside area. Easy walking and there are tons of shops and restaurants.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

You should also look at condos in the southside. With two bedrooms you would have plenty of room.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

Have you tried Buceries? Lovely little town, nice beach, restaurants and shops nearby.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,695 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

You could have her at Hotel Playa Los Arcos (on the flat, right on the beach) and you stay at Casa Dona Susana (their sister hotel just up the street with its own rooftop pool). But those are all a lot more than the price you want to pay.

For bare bones, clean, and in the $50-60/range then you're talking about someplace like Posada de Roger (which does have courtyard level rooms which aren't as nice but have worked for people who can't make it up the flight of stairs).

suze

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,159 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

And with price it can vary depending on the time of year no matter where you stay. Also there is an approx. 19% (can't remember to a pinpoint but it's 18 or 19) hotel tax and some sites may show it built into the first price, and some show it in the total, so watch for that.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,876 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quaint Areas-Open Markets, Strolling,Beach

I'd also like to recommend Bucerias. You could probably rent a spacious condo for about the same price as a small hotel room. There's a nice beach, boutique-type shops, a flea market and plenty of good restaurants in all price ranges.