We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping maid

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping maid

Having stayed at only all inclusive resorts before not too sure how much to tip maid for house rental. Also do we tip daily or after stay? Will be there for two weeks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
286 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping maid

We generally rent private condos and therefore have the same maid. I tip once a week as a rule but sometimes at the end of the stay - depending on how the long stay is. I don't tip daily in this scenario unless it's a situation of the maid changing.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping maid

Tipping daily is good. Your tip may help her pay the bus fare to and from work. Or buy an extra gallon of milk for that day. Put the tip on the master bedroom pillow. I bet you will get extra care while on vacation. How big the house is and what is required to be cleaned will depend on the tip. Let us know the size and I am sure you will get good info.

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping maid

Not to sure size of house. It has three bedrooms all on different levels, doesn't look too big. Quite quaint. Cleaning is not going to be excessive, just basic like a hotel or resort (making of beds, tidy up, floor cleaning etc.) hopefully this helps.

Prince George...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping maid

When we stay in a condo and they come couple time a week we tip 50 peso. If they come every day 20 peso. Unless we leave dishes then 50 peso

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping maid

If you have daily service with bed being made and dishes being washed then a quick rule is 50 pesos per day. Having said that and there is more than one being made up and washrooms being cleaned then assess it accordingly. Sometimes add a nice small gift like some hand lotion or hair clips. At the end of your stay a nice extra of 200 - 500 pesos is appreciated. Treat your maid well and your stay will reflect that.

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping maid

Thank you for the info, I will be certain to make sure maid is well taken care of. I also have found if you treat the maid well your experience will reflect this.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping maid

Well there are basically three hotel rooms so I would leave at least 75 pesos a day. Whether you pay each day, a little each day and the balance at week end, or all at week end is up to you. Have lots of fun and enjoy PV.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,856 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping maid

We stay in a hotel, but it's like everything else..... we tip ours well and since the maid changes daily sometimes, we tip daily. We have found that brings us great service, extra towels upon request, all of our requests are met with prompt service, and we even get cute towel figurine designs on our bed.

The best part for me is when we tip good, it brings our relationship with the maids even closer and we have engaged in many great conversations with them...... the locals. The best!

Michigan
Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping maid

We tip 20-50 pesos per day at our resort since the maid schedule can change daily. I also leave the follow card with the tip:

"un regalo para la camarista" (A Gift for the Maid)

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping maid

You can ask whoever you are renting the house from what is appropriate. The condo I've rented recently has a printed info welcome sheet that includes things like the cleaning schedule (and a suggested tip amount depending on number of people), also that personal laundry service is available and the price, emergency phone numbers, etc.