We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Help! Not a Spring Breaker, want to travel in April!!

So myself who is 19 and my friend who is 21 were planning on staying at the Riu Vallarta. The day before we were planning on booking we found out that because we are going in April, which happens to be the States' spring break we require someone who is 21 to stay in the room with us, if we don't have someone who is 21 then we cannot stay there. (This information, which I find VERY important is not posted on expedia, or the hotel website, until AFTER we would have booked) I understand the policy because of rowdy Spring break kids. But we however are not on spring break (Canadians). This is my last chance to travel before I endure 4 years of nursing school. So what my question is..

What hotels/Resorts in Puerto Vallarta, or Nuevo Vallarta don't require someone who is 21 to be in a room with us during March and April. (Just these two months)???

Please help us! We have done so much research and found that Puerto Vallarta is where we want to travel too.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
952 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Not a Spring Breaker, want to travel in April!!

I would email or call the Riu Vallarta and explain the situation to them. See if there would be an exception for you.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Not a Spring Breaker, want to travel in April!!

Isn't your friend 21?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Not a Spring Breaker, want to travel in April!!

Its a policy, no exceptions. And no she is only 20. My friend and her mother are staying at the Riu Jalisco, they can add us to the reservation but we would be in separate rooms and you need someone who is 21 PER ROOM.

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
604 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Not a Spring Breaker, want to travel in April!!

Legal age in Mexico is 18. These are hotel policies. Guess they want to avoid responsibility but even if something does happen the hotels shirk responsibility as it is, so not sure what they are afraid of.

Why not ask around at other hotels?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Not a Spring Breaker, want to travel in April!!

That's what I have been trying to do. We are willing to spend money to stay at some place nice, and I meant to say she is 20 not 21! So far no luck.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,978 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Not a Spring Breaker, want to travel in April!!

Large chain resorts often have these kinds of policy guidelines. Maybe look into not staying in a mega resort and find something local instead? Or perhaps renting a condo from a private owner.

Or inquire on the Nuevo Vallarta forum about Riu resort policies and if anyone has any info - all the Rius are in Nuevo, not in PV. About 45 minutes-ish north of the city.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 15:54
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Not a Spring Breaker, want to travel in April!!

Those are a little too pricy for just a week, we also want to do many excursions that we will be spending money on. I called the Samba Vallarta and the holiday inn resort, those said that its not a policy. The last thing I want is to show up at my hotel and not have someone who is 21 and then not be able to stay there and be out 1400 bucks.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Not a Spring Breaker, want to travel in April!!

sorry, my friend is only 20! Not 21!!

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
673 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Not a Spring Breaker, want to travel in April!!

Would it be possible for your friend's mom, to rent a 2 bedroom suite and you stay in one of the suite bedrooms? Just a thought, not even sure they have 2 bedroom suites.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Not a Spring Breaker, want to travel in April!!

I already asked, and no they don't have joining rooms, and to be honest I think my friend and her mom are going for a trip together. I really don't want to infringe on their vacation, although that seems to be our last hope haha