We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of resort for Day Pass

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
233 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Choice of resort for Day Pass

I've been looking at ideas for a place to spend a Wednesday while our cruise ship is in Puerto Vallarta. My friend and I are in our 40s and we're looking for a resort with a swim up bar where we can drink a little too much for the day and have a good time. We'd like to avoid a place with too many kids (adult pool would be ideal), because we are looking for adult fun. Not looking for a place where the vibe is quiet - want for more of a social / party atmosphere. A place where you can play volleyball or water volleyball would be nice, too.

Melia: $70USD. Short taxi ride from port. Definitely have a swim up bar, not sure if there are a lot of kids in that pool.

Crown Paradise: Cost unknown (have sent e-mail for info). Can walk from port (as I understand it). Have a adult only pool at north end of resort with a swim up bar - does anyone know what the vibe of this pool is? Is it more of a quiet area or more social?

Golden Crown Paradise: $79USD. Can walk from port (as I understand it). It is an adults-only AI, so no kids. I don't see a swim up bar in any of the pics.

If anyone can add anything or has other ideas, post them here! Many thanks for the help.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of resort for Day Pass

Grab a taxi and have him take to to Los Muertos Beach. Tell him you want to be dropped off by the beach bars. Then take your pick, people watching, drinking, talking smart. A couple of them have Dollar Beers and Margaritas. But if you want a party. Just sit down by a party.

"Funman"

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of resort for Day Pass

Crown Paradise Club should be about the same as the Golden as they are sister properties right next to each other. The Golden will be more lively (as it is adult only). It does not have a swim up bar, but there is a bar right next to the pool and they have pool servers. If you get a pass for the Golden, you can use the Crown too but not the other way around. For lunch, the Crown has a buffet and a snack bar. The Golden has an ala carte option plus a snack bar. Both are a 2 minute walk from the terminal.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,235 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of resort for Day Pass

We were at the Krystal pool this past Wednesday and there were some cruise ship passengers.

The main pool is a beautiful infinity pool with a volleyball net in one corner. There is an activity director there. Lots of loungers and poolside service (no swim-up bar either) and they don't mind if you take your drinks in the pool.

Only a few kids most times, but the pool is big enough that they don't affect the atmosphere.

We enjoyed it. If you want more of a meal there is a beachside restaurant right beside it where you can order from the menu.

Just another option for you. No idea of Day Pass prices, details. Sorry

Edited: 22 February 2014, 15:15
Chicago
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of resort for Day Pass

If I remember reading before, the Krystal is not an inclusive pass, only a pass to use the facilities. It was $20 or $25 per person. That then became a resort credit towards food and drinks. After you used up that credit, you paid for any additional food or drinks. Drinks were $5 and up, if I remember right.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of resort for Day Pass

I second the recommendation to take a taxi to Los Muertos Beach. If in PV for only a day why spend it at a resort. Much fun/social/drinking can be had outside of a resort and you get to see Much more of PV!

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
233 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice of resort for Day Pass

$5 / drink is going to get me to a very high number. That's pretty much the one day I plan on doing any real drinking that week.

Chicago
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choice of resort for Day Pass

If that is your "drinking day" then I would go for the day pass at the Golden. Short walk, only one fee for all you can eat and drink and only a short walk back to the ship. Just my 2 pesos worth.

michigan
Level Contributor
38 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choice of resort for Day Pass

We just returned last night from the Golden Crown. It was our 5th visit, and we love it there. A word of caution, if you are not there to put your towels out at 7:30 am you will have a hard time getting a chair. The age bracket are mostly people in their 50's and up.

That is one of the main reasons we enjoy going. It is not a real party atmosphere unless they are playing pool volley ball. You can always sit at the Breeze bar right on the beach. Beautiful view and the drinks are good or you can visit the sister resort and sit at the adults only pool. That did not look like a real party atmosphere whenever we walked by either.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,128 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choice of resort for Day Pass

Sounds like good advice, bobo, as the OP seems serious on his mission and whoever he's traveling with could put him on a cart or something, to get him back to the nearby port, in case his mission gets VERY serious. He's been fairly honest with us here. LOL.

Wanted to add something on shakey's comments on the Melia above in this thread, when he said "not sure if there are a lot of kids in that pool."

"That pool" is the only pool. The issue with Melia is that the pool might be massive and huge but there is only one. Thus, the kids (when we were there) were all over that pool. It was difficult to find adult space, separated from the kids.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 22:16
minnesota
Level Contributor
485 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choice of resort for Day Pass

whew - just glad to see that our place isn't on that list! lol While I'm happy you'll be in P.V., I personally, hate to book at a resort, only to find out it's where the cruise ship peoples are coming in daily to use my pool chair. Hard enough playing the pool chair shuffle without resorts adding more. (that's a whole 'nudder story!)

But, to answer your question - I totally agree with funman - I would just go to the beach. By far more enjoyable to people watch, have some drinks, & meet some people vs. parking at a pool.