We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport

vancouver
Level Contributor
394 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Passport

What is the purpose of being asked for your passport for various reasons in PV? E.g. getting a cell phone, booking a condo, hospital visit etc..? Could someone shed some light on why this is so?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport

You are a foreigner and that is your form of ID. Aren't you asked to show ID at various times at home?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport

Because you are NOT MEXICAN and just like in Thailand,Spain,UK,Malaysia,Cuba,Philippines,South Africa.and most of the world,This is the only acceptable ID for none locals,Having visited 28 countries,they have always asked for my passport in all of them to check in at hotel,change money etc

Edited: 26 February 2014, 13:28
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport

There are many laws and regulations that require people to check ID and a passport is the only legal ID that counts (for a foreigner). For cell phones it was to curtail phone scams (such as virtual kidnappings), for credit card payments if was to limit losses when cards were stolen, for renting a condo so that you can find the person if they trash the place and so on. I don't find Mexico any different to other countries in this regard.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport

I'd be happy they ask for it when you go to the bank!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,470 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport

I can't even pick up my own mail packages at home in Canada from the post office without ID - can't see why Mexico would be any different.

I also have to show ID when I upgrade my cellphone, cash a cheque inside a bank, board a plane or a bus, send someone money at Western Union, or purchase liquor...I'm not sure why Mexico should be any different in any of those regards.

And as noted, for many countries the only form of ID they consider valid is a passport if you are outside your own country. One trip to Chicago for a specific concert at the House of Blues, I was required to show my passport along with my ticket as proof of purchase and entry before I could get in...so no, it's not extreme in Mexico at all to my way of thinking.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 15:44
Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport

Passports are recognized world wide as legal ID. Drivers licenses are not as they are easily faked- a passport is much harder to fake and easier to verify. If you exchange money here you will probably need your passport.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport

I just realized from the travel map of the OP,that the OP has never left the USA except for Mexico.Maybe the OP does not have a US passport and used a enhanced drivers license to enter Mexico.In this case It is better to get a passport

vancouver
Level Contributor
394 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport

Stevemex, thank you for your insight to my curiosity!

vancouver
Level Contributor
394 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport

Vancouverpinoy, you are incorrect. Not everyone wishes to update the travel map - I know I don't. I have travelled to many places but have not been asked for my passport for things like apartment rentals or getting a phone. It was a curiosity question. FYI, if you did indeed read my profile, you missed that I am in Canada!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport

Ditto on what bzy1 said....

It's much easier for tourist destinations to recognize passports rather than the various other forms of ID worldwide.