We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boca de Tomates- any info?

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Boca de Tomates- any info?

We noticed this little beach area the other day on our whale watching tour. It looks like it could be a cool place to hang out for the day since we are at the Marriott and it is very close. It's our last day, so we don't want to spend a lot of time traveling to other beaches. I can't find too much info on this place - anyone have any feedback?

San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boca de Tomates- any info?

Havent heard too much about Boca de Tomates since the crocodile killed that fisherman.........

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boca de Tomates- any info?

Look under Boca de Tomatlan, you will find more info! :) It is a quaint and friendly beach village with lots of activity happening on the beach as it is a popular water taxi station for folks heading to other beaches. Easy to get to from south side of PV, one bus that takes about 30 minutes to get there. About four beach bar/restaurants to choose from once there.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boca de Tomates- any info?

Thanks, but I'm looking for Boca de Tomates, which is a little north of the Marriott. We will save Boca de Tomatlan, which looks great, for our next visit to PV. I think we will probably just perch ourselves at the Marriott beach/pool today. The crocodile comment made that decision :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boca de Tomates- any info?

we loved Boca de Tomates.

we ate a wonderful meal with several different styles of shrimp. It was excellent.

the crocs were a few minutes away behind chain link. we stopped and took pics.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boca de Tomates- any info?

Boca de Tomates is an OK beach- I wouldn't swim there (Crocodiles) but it is good for fresh fish and beers. Georges/Jorges is where we usually eat and sit. There are not lounge chairs and such, just plastic Corona chairs.

If you are going primarily for fresh fish, go, but if you are going for the beach, there are far better.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boca de Tomates- any info?

The University of Guadalajara maintains a crocodile preserve, between Boca de Tomates and the airport.

I don't believe that fisherman was killed, definitely damaged though, and he was in a river with crocodiles. No one has had any problems at Boca de Tomates. Interesting mangrove swamp area.

There's an Ixtapa bus that goes there.

Mentioned in this post
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boca de Tomates- any info?

I have a Mexican friend that goes there in the early morning with his dog.... last July or August (can't remember when) he went running down the beach and on the other side of a sand dune was a crocodile (laying in wait ;) he said it scared him but it didn't go after him or his dog. I should ask him if she still runs there with his dog.

The cool thing about George's/Jorge's is you can go inside and pick your fish. We usually get one about a kilo and have them cut it up and fry it with garlic. Red Snapper. About 180 Pesos and very tasty.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boca de Tomates- any info?

Last time we were in PV we wanted to go to Boca de Tomates (we had a car) to see the crocodiles but couldn't figure out how to get there. I'd like to try again, so if anyone can provide complete directions I would appreciate it.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boca de Tomates- any info?

The access road is off of route 200, past Home Depot going north, on the left, see my Marina Map.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boca de Tomates- any info?

This is the way I get there with a car, not on the bus. Just before you approach the state line for Jalisco/Nayarit there are some businesses on the left side of Hwy 200. If you turn left and go behind the businesses, there is a dirt road, turn right and follow it, it is probably a couple of miles. When the road turns you will see a chain link fence on the left. When I was there in Nov, there were at least 10-12 of them laying in the water behind the fence. Follow the road further and it will take you to the restaurants and the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico