We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration

michigan
Level Contributor
755 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Immigration

Any suggestions for navigating the Saturday lines any quicker.

We have trusted traveller GOES on our passports but think that will only help in USA. Is that correct?

Edited: 26 February 2014, 21:27
michigan
Level Contributor
755 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immigration

sorry I did not look at today's new topics before I posted my question and it was too late to delete it!!!

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immigration

Well, the line on the far left is much shorter, but you have to be traveling with children or are handicapped. Other than that I don't think there is an expedited line. But maybe you'll be the only plane at the time and can get right through!

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immigration

The line on the far left is for Mexican citizens ... but it will accommodate others when/if required - like those in wheelchairs, and at times, families with small children, and etc.

On our past couple of trips, we've been whisked through ... my lady in a wheelchair, me pushing, and an airport attendent leading the way!!

Edited: 26 February 2014, 22:49
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,413 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immigration

Depends on what's going on at the airport that day, unfortunately.

I went through twice recently on a Saturday --- one time was almost 2 hours and the next time was about an hour. Not just Immigration.....that's including the time from when you get into the building to when you exit to Taxi Territory. So, that included Immigration and Customs and the long hallways in between.

Saturdays are the key entry days though, especially in high season. In contrast to those in October and December, I went through Immigration and Customs (exit plane to taxi area) in 14 minutes on a Wednesday a month ago. Speedy. No tour buses parked outside. Airport was quiet.

Depends on several variables: where you are in your plane, if your plane lands on the tarmac with no jetway (so you have to get a bus), how many other planes are landing right around the same time, etc.

Saturdays can be tough. What I usually do is take a deep breath, make sure I've hit the rest room (anticipating a line) and just take it easy and talk to my fellow arriving passengers as there is a lot of adrenlin in there, with people wanting to start their travels.

Good luck and enjoy. Once you're on solid ground, you're fine. You're in PV.

michigan
Level Contributor
755 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immigration

There is even a restroom while you are in line for immigration as long as you are with others who will stay in line! Yes, just take a breath and know that soon there will be warmth and an adult beverage.....our two weeks( first at Los Tules and 2nd at Grand Luxxe ) starts on Saturday. Some old favorite restaurants and hopefully some new from this forums recommendations. Thank you TA especially all the Destination Experts who take time to answer all the querries!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
916 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Immigration

Just an observation. You will receive forms on the airplane to fill out before arrival. One of the forms, the one for individuals, not household (I can't remember if it was the custom or immigration form!) has a section, below where it says "Official Use Only", that needs to be filled out by the traveler. When the forms were handed out on our AA flight, attendants said nothing about this. But as people were leaving the jetway they were checking the cards to make sure they were completely filled out, if not they directed people to do so at a nearby area set up for this. There were many folks who missed that section. This put them way behind those of us who had filled out the form completely.

BC
Level Contributor
432 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Immigration

I have threatened to kick out my husband's knees before we get off the plane so he will need a wheelchair 😜

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,179 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Immigration

Be careful what you wish for. *

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,459 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Immigration

A wheelchair through an airport isn't all it's cracked up to be, I'll take waiting in line again.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,413 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Immigration

It's probably all individual, Ted, and sorry if it didn't work out well in your situation. I had to go through both PVR and SFO in a wheelchair (with a cast on my leg and crutches) on February 11 and have never been treated better. I give everyone at PVR an A+. SFO gets a B+. It was a first but, wow, the easiest airport transit I've ever had, traveling alone and having to deal with all my luggage by myself.

it's unfortunate if it doesn't work for people but, if you need it (I was feeling desperate, traveling alone) ----- everything at the Puerto Vallarta airport went smooth and people were as kind and accommodating as could be. I felt like a queen. First on the plane. First off the plane. Couldn't believe it. This is leaving Puerto Vallarta though. Not sure how it would all go in arriving. I would hope it would be equally comfortable. The PV airport definitely has their act together for disabled people. Based on what I've observed, it appears that services for the disabled are improving all the time. We hope.

Next trip, I'll be walking and standing. Darn. ;=))