We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are coming in on a cruise ship.. Activiteis? Massage? ??

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
We are coming in on a cruise ship.. Activiteis? Massage? ??

We will be there in May, looking for activities, shopping, cultural, massage etc close to pier. Or what is the safest way to explore on our own? Do we need to be worried about our safety in PV anymore than lets say.. San Diego? Any tour guides or services or must see things?

Thanks!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We are coming in on a cruise ship.. Activiteis? Massage? ??

Check out the safety posting on the right hand side. Also, here are maps of the area and great info. Enjoy.

http://vallartainfo.com/

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,653 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We are coming in on a cruise ship.. Activiteis? Massage? ??

When you exit the cruise ship terminal, there is a small plaza directly across the street. On the right side is a massage shop run by 2 sisters. $30 per person for a 60 minute massage.

To get downtown, walk to your left (as you exit the terminal) to the main street. Catch a bus (marked Centro) to downtown. Cost is 7 1/2 pesos per person.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,352 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We are coming in on a cruise ship.. Activiteis? Massage? ??

There is no safest way to explore on your own. It's all good and safe....walking, taking the bus and using the cabs.

In the website maps above you'll find the Marina map. On the bottom of this map you'll find the Marine Terminal. From this page/map you can move down towards town, all the maps are in order.

The heart of PV is the downtown and the south side map. The Malecon starts on the downtown map next to the ocean (blue line next to the ocean), and it's a good first place to walk. The streets behind the Malecon are good for shopping.

The south side map has Los Muertos Beach, a nice spot for sitting by the ocean in any of the seaside bars and restaurants. Basilio Badillo (start at Olas Altas) is a big shopping street. Just wander the streets of the south side and you'll find more shops. A good cultural place to visit is the Municipal Market area which is shown on the map. Don't wait to late in the day to do this, morning will be best.

How much time do you have off the ship? There are many other things you could do past what I've described. But, walking in PV is wonderful...it's a very interesting town.

Westport, Washington
Level Contributor
207 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We are coming in on a cruise ship.. Activiteis? Massage? ??

we started coming to pv by cruise ship 3 different times, we liked it so much that now we come every year now by plane, jump a cab outside terminal walking to your left, passing the white cabs in the terminal area as they cost twice as much, get a yellow cab and head downtown, we always started down by cheeky monkey and walked south, if shopping is what your after just follow main street south to flea market, we always hit the blue shrimp for great shrimp at the end before returning to the ship, others will chime in on recommendations, but most of all have fun. never have we felt unsafe in coming to pv and we go everywhere, now we drive here too, enjoy

Edited: 03 March 2014, 03:17
San Diego...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are coming in on a cruise ship.. Activiteis? Massage? ??

Thanks everyone.. I wish this thing has an edit, so I could correct my misspelling.. I promise I can spell activities. ;)

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
687 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We are coming in on a cruise ship.. Activiteis? Massage? ??

We were just there last week for the first time and loved it. Having said that, we are also avid cruisers, and I know it's hard to cover a lot of ground in a short time. One thing that we did last week, which we have done in other destinations as well, was a local food tour. I find it's a great way to see a bit of the city, on foot, and taste the local culture in a short amount of time. We used Vallarta Food Tours, but there are also other companies that do the same thing. It was really a lot of fun. Ours didn't start until 11:00 a.m., and it ended around 2:00 p.m. If it's a normal port day, that should give you plenty of time with some left over to explore a bit before returning to the port. We ended close to the church area, which is an easy 10 - 15 minute cab ride back.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,262 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We are coming in on a cruise ship.. Activiteis? Massage? ??

No you don't need to be worried about "safety". If I had only part of one single day in Puerto Vallarta, I'd just wander around in el Centro (downtown) and the Southside (south of the Rio Cuale river next to downtown).

suze

8. Re: We are coming in on a cruise ship.. Activiteis? Massage? ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 05:17