We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
673 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

We are thinking of booking a week, at the end of September, at either Rancho Banderas all Suite or VdPFlamingos. Does anyone have preferences, opinions, suggestions or insight to share? (We will be spending a week or two in, Old Town, after our stay at the north end of the bay.)

We do not want to buy an all inclusive plan at either resort and wonder about the proximity of each place to a walkable town. It looks as though we could walk to Bucerias, from Flamingos, but is it possible to walk to anything, from Rancho Bandera?

Also, we would rent a car for a part of this week so we could explore Sayulita and any other "not to be missed places" at this end of the bay. We have been advised to use Gecko, for the car rental, so will do.

Thank you for your suggestions.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,786 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

I would go to Villa Del Palmar Flamingos, it is closer to Bucerias than Rancho Banderas for dinner/shopping etc.

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

Hello, We have stayed at Rancho Banderas and visited VDP Flamingos. We love, love love the beach (Destiladeras) at RB and stay there often for the peace and beauty of our surroundings and spacious accommodations. You can rent a car onsite for the day and drive to Sayulita, Rincon de Guyabitos and La Penita. It is not within walking distance to anything however we tahe the bus to La Cruz and Bucerias and bus it north to Punta Mita. From Flamingos you can walk into Bucerias along the beach or catch bus/ walk to Paradise Village NV. The VDP Flamingos is more upscale. If you do stay at Flamingos, I highly recommend a day trip to Destiladeras beach. Take your own towels, there is a beach restaurant onsite. Favourite beach for locals on weekends. Enjoy.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

Rancho Banderas is pretty much in the middle of nowhere...and even the walk from the hotel to the highway to catch a bus is long. If you are not doing A/I then you are limited to the restaurant onsite- so unless you rent a car, I suggest the VDPFlamingos- which is also more modern and upscale. My friend has a 3 bedroom at Rancho which is nice but a little dated and once you are on the property, you are pretty much stuck unless you have wheels. Taxis are available there...

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
673 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

Thank you, for your replies. I was thinking that Flamingos would be the best choice, but Rancho Banderas Resort looks great, too. I was planning to rent a car for this week so we could explore Sayulita and the likes. Maybe we would not need it for the whole week.

Rivergranny- Do you remember how much money it cost a day, for a rental car. Nothing fancy, just automatic trans., air conditioning? Maybe we could get by renting by the day.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

If you rent a car, I suggest Gecko in Bucerias- they include all of the taxes, fees and insurance in their rental cars. Pay cash and get a discount. Very honest and great people to deal with. I think an automatic car, with a/c and such was $300 US cash. I think it is $390 if you pay with a credit card. This was a few months ago.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
673 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

bzy1-Thanks. Will do.

Pacific Latitiude...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

I had a friend stay at Rancho Banderas. It is the kind of place you go to get away from it all. So 7 days there with a 1-2 day excursion is probably a good plan.

If you do not like to lounge by the pool or on the beach, then it is not the place for you.

Although Flamingos is walkable, it is still pretty remote. Nuevo is pretty walkable now with plenty of restaurants compared to 5 years ago. But they tend to be expensive.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
673 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

kcowen-We do like some, quiet, but just not sure it has to be deadly quiet. lol I seem to be drawn to the Rancho Banderas resort, but it seems to make better sense to book at Flamingos and make a trip or two to the Rancho area. Do you know how far these two resorts are from each other?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

Hi Ntebo,

Our condo is just a couple properties down from where you'll be staying at Villa del Palmar Flamingos. Most every trip to Nuevo we drive over to the Rancho Banderas Resort complex to enjoy a wonderful meal at Peppers, their lovely onsite restaurant. From Villa del Palmar it will take approximately 20 minutes to get there. The sweet palapa-covered restaurant sits atop a bluff overlooking the beach and sparkling ocean. We always plan to arrive at Peppers about an hour before sunset. Then after our meal we walk down to the beach and just sit there quietly for a little bit and just breathe in all the surrounding natural beauty.

- BeachOceanSun

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
673 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which resort in NV from a Puerto Vallarta person's thinking

Thanks, Beachoceansun. I like how you enjoy yourselves. Very peaceful. We will have to do the same a time or two.