We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

And some more trip report

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
426 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
And some more trip report

OK...so we took the water taxi back from Quimixto to Boca de Tamlatan and stopped by the whiskey distillery. This was fasinating...what great people with such an adventurous spirit. We bought enough Los 2 Compadres Whiskey that we are still driking it. It tastes like tequilla becasue of the yeast that is local...very cool. Free samples and a neat place to visit.

Mismaloya was the following day. Now you know that I am a very positve person, but this was a very trying day. We took the bus there and walked the trail by the ocean. It is a beautiful cove..saw some blue footed boobies that were so close I could have caught one. Because of this board, we had Tony's on our list to eat at, so we were off to Tony's for lunch. We had the seafood plate for 2 and it was great. Then I thought that I would like to go to the zoo and maybe the predator set....I love the movie Predator....so off we went. Now it was hot on this particular day, but my adventerous hubby decided he wanted to hike up to the preditor set....afterall, the sign says 2 miles...not that far....we walked, and walked, and walked..oh wait, another sign...still 2 miles. We started taking pictures of the signs in our heat induced delirium. It was a nice hike, played in the river, took some great pictures, neat butterflies. We finally got there and took a look around, bought a water, and I insisted that we get a taxi back. I can't stress enough how far this hike was in the heat of the day.....

Botanical Gardens was next on the list. It's ok, we ate there and the food was just ok..kind of expensive. There is a good trail that goes around the river, but the bugs are crazy. We had our DEET 30% and still got eaten. I don't think I would recommend this activity again.

Last night of vacation....we went to El Arrayan because the hubby wanted those cricket tacos. I guess I am glad that I tried them....I didn't think the food was great...my soup had a lot of bones in it, which made it diffiucult to eat. I don't mind 1 bone in chicken soup, but multiple is too many.

Don't hate me here....but we did not find the food that awesome in PV....I know we didn't try a lot of places, but the places we did try were not impressive. The best food we had hands down were the fish and shrimp on a stick from the beach guys. Tony's was really good. It may be a regional thing, but the ceviche was not to my liking in PV..tried 6 places and it was consistently more like tuna salad or something.....just not the same as the Yucatan version. We did make it a point on this vacation to always say Si to any beach vendor selling an edible item...that was fun.

I loved our vacation and will be back to PV...but September will be back to Isla Mujeres.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: And some more trip report

El Arrayan is supposed to be a top restaurant for the most authentic Traditional Mexican food in PV. I found most of it bland as did my family. But, that is what traditional Mexican is like in this region.

Outside of Tony's, where else did you eat in PV?

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
426 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: And some more trip report

Also, thank you for all the advise prior to this trip!!

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: And some more trip report

Yeah, we've had those hot exhausting days too, sometimes you don't know what you're in for! Sounds like you had a great time anyway. Cool to see the Blue-footed boobies so close! About the food - aside from breakfast I've found I can't go wrong eating seafood in PV. Thanks for reporting!

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
426 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: And some more trip report

We ate at La Palapa, another little place on the beach down by the pier, a pizza place (can't remember the name)...I should have wrote them down. We did eat at a place that had just opened near our hotel that had Raicilla (sp?)..it was very good, but small portions and expensive...but I had been hunting raicilla to try. Smoky and smooth... The beach food was better than anywhere we have been...I love eating shrimp on a stick!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: And some more trip report

I think you didn't hit the best spots in PV for eating, and they aren't expensive places either. Next trip write down some of the favorites from the forum and that should help a lot.

Sometimes, it's just a matter of what you order...you can certainly order wrong. Nowadays, I question the waiter politely but thoroughly before I order.

I also love Isla Mujeres. We stayed in the penthouse apartment of Color de Verano, right above Jax's sports bar. Great view and such a cute little place.

United States
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: And some more trip report

That walk from the highway to El Eden is llloooooonnnggg! I can't believe you walked it. Good for you. I would have been dying, especially during the heat of the day! I was so thankful we had a ride. And.... It is very dusty too if any cars drive past you along the way.

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
426 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: And some more trip report

777Deana777..yes it is a long walk, and I did think about dying along the way...I also thought about killing my husband! We only had one bus pass us going back towards town so the dust wasn't terrible. It was not 2 miles...maybe as a crow flies, but that road snaked this way and that way....

KansasPVgal....you are so right about ordring the right thing. I did bring my to do list on plces to eat, but we would get side tracked. The ceviche really threw me off, too...I was just determined to find a good ceviche.

ohhhhh, I forgot the taco place...was it Paco's (?) we ate there a few times..they were really good. I did gain 5 pounds that week, even with the hiking...so I did eat a lot...:)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: And some more trip report

I bought some of that whiskey at the Old Town Farmer's Market on Sat. morning, very good :)

Lake Montezuma...
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: And some more trip report

Hi, I heard Predator was closed? Been there many times and wanted to take our company this May....

Edited: 04 March 2014, 18:55
Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: And some more trip report

I was curious with the comments re: the Los 2 Compadres whiskey, had to catch some more information - here's a link to their website. Would love to give it a try - it looks and sounds good!! Hope they do well in their endeavours.

destilerialos2compadres.com/our-products.html

And here's an 'older' article on Banderas News:

banderasnews.com/1302/rr-los2compadreswhiske…

Cheers!!