We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peninsula Condos

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Peninsula Condos

Well, it's time to book my flights almost (9 days to go) and I am back to square one on condos. Everything that is beachfront on the SS that is fit for 2 adults and 4 kids is too much money, so I'm rethinking the Peninsula. It is a great rate and the condo and pool look nice. Anyone know if it is heated (the owner didn't respond yet, so I figure someone here would know)? Is there anything within immediate walking for groceries or at least staples? I know we can get to some of the supermarkets easy, but right close for milk, bread, beer, etc.? Also has anyone who stayed there noticed many kids? Mine like the kids clubs at AI's, so when we get condos, I try and find somewhere there will be other kids and where mine certainly won't be bothering other people. They will be 12, 9, 3 and 1 at the time. Any other important info or feelings on the place would be appreciated.

(My other two options are Dreams Villamagna or Vallarta Gardens in La Cruz in case anyone has strong feelings about any of them over another. I realize they are all very different locations, but at this point, finding the best condo for the kids is my priority). I have also looked south of PV and can't find anything I like either except for the condos at Playas Gemales and we liked them but just wanted to try something different.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,148 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peninsula Condos

I haven't stayed there but frequently stay in the area (Krystal and Villa del Palmar) and so am in the Peninsula complex frequently, to Starbucks and various restaurants ---- The HOA's have problems (pool issues and others) but I doubt any of the politics would affect a renter. Your experience would likely depend on who you are renting from and what size/type unit you get.

Those who have stayed there recently can give more information. The condos are beautiful and the beach is nice.

Can't comment on activities for the kids but it's a short walk north, up the street to the Super Soriana for groceries --- no OXXO in between, so that's your closest bet for some of the essentials. It's not that far. Excellent market. Vast range of items. Just hang a left when you get out to the sidewalk and walk past the Krystal and the nightclub and a few restaurants and the Hacienda Buenaventura and you're there. No problem getting all the supplies you could possibly need, for the kitchen. Nice stroll, but not next door.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 01:26
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peninsula Condos

Thanks Marly, it is a 3 bedroom, 3 bath and on the first floor up from the pool, so right by the stairs which would make it easy for the kids to go up and down and when the little one is napping, I can be on the balcony and still talk to the other kids and hubby from there. I thought Soriana's was close, so that's good. Haven't stayed in the hotel zone for years, so I'm a little unfamiliar with the area now. Just trying to decide between areas really. This is the best priced condo of the 3.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,148 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peninsula Condos

Others here on this forum have stayed there so hope they respond. Difficult to turn down a condo that large for a good price though but I understand the situation with the kids. However, I personally don't know anyone who has stayed there with children. You know they are big, new high rises, right? Much newer than all the hotels I stay in regularly in the Hotel Zone (I wouldn't know what to do in a high rise in PV.....LOL).

As I said, Soriana is a nice-distance stroll, but not directly next door. The plus is that it's on the same side of the street so you could make a safe family outing out of going there. Loud busy street though, as you know.

There is a little (high-priced) mini-mart in the property between the Krystal and Hilton (closer) but you may need a wristband from one of those properties to access it. Every other small grocery would be further than Soriana. It would be nice if the Peninsula Plaza had a small tienda but I haven't seen one, unless they have one downstairs in one of the towers (not accessible to the public but to people staying there?).

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peninsula Condos

I realize it's a big high rise (that's the downside to it IMO), I like that we would be on the one up floor though. So hard with kids and needing that much room (I do not want a bunch of kids in my bedroom.lol).

Thank you:)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,482 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Peninsula Condos

I've stayed there twice. Main pool is not heated. Exclusive pool in tower 1 is heated but only available for T1 guests.

On both visits always saw kids. Don't know exact ages but diapered through teens an estimate.

Very nice complex. Great staff.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peninsula Condos

Married, you are right in the middle between Soriana at Plaza Caracol and the Playa de Oro Soriano so when you get to the street turn right or left. :)

One thing no one has mentioned and I am surprised PVJB didn't mention it, was her complaint of the loud music coming from DeSantos at night . That might not be a plus when you have little ones you are trying to get to sleep.

Mentioned in this post
Plaza Caracol
Plaza Caracol
34 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peninsula Condos

Thanks everyone. The music actually won't bother my kids. We don't have a quiet household and I can vacuum in their rooms during naps, so I won't mind that. Still trying to decide on the areas. Tough call:(

This unit is in tower 3 and the owner just got back to me to say there is a heated pool. I guess I will have to ask her if the main pool we are above is heated (since it sounds like it's not) or if she means there is one heated (that we can't use). I think I might call to clarify all that because I don't like cold pools, but the kids don't really care.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peninsula Condos

Soriana is a few blocks away- I much prefer the Playa de Oro Soriana which is near the cruise ship dock- plus there is a Peter Piper Pizza next door to Soriana, which is great for kids. The Peninsula has it's own cinema/movie room, so bring a few DVDs (I think they have some as well.)

The Peninsula has a great ice cream shop, some nice shops, a Starbuck's and a few restaurants. Love Kensoa.(Sushi)

I am not sure the loud music is from DeSanto's- I think it is from the roof top bar next door... La Isla? They crank up the music on the weekends.

I was in the condo that Jen stayed at and it was gorgeous- tons of space. I also toured one in T! (I think it was a model) and it was amazing... gourmet kitchen, awesome views, plush beds. You are a short cab ride from Las Adelitas which is a fun restaurant in Fluvial- Mexican (traditional) mixed with American dishes. Nice ambiance and 49 Peso breakfasts.

Mentioned in this post
La Isla
La Isla
61 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,971 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peninsula Condos

The nice thing about Playa de Oro Soriana is it's on the same side of that darn Hghway so walking is safe and pleasant. It's also small but very well equipped. Easy to find things. Nice selection of imported foods.

I also like Vallarta Salads in the Peninsula Plaza adjoining. Nice fresh ingredients, smoothies, juices. Breakfasts, lunches, sandwiches.

There are also 2 or 3 banks in the Plaza.

Mentioned in this post
Vallarta Salads
Vallarta Salads
29 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,482 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Peninsula Condos

If the owner is saying the main pool is heated that's new. Wasn't when I stayed there. It wasn't a deal breaker because it's one of the nicest pools in PV.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 14:10