We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Topic
Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

I purchased a very basic pay as you go Nokia cell phone at an Old Town Oxxo to use to keep in touch with my local friends while I was in PV on vacation. Now that I am in the states, I'm curious how one goes about continuing to use this "Mexican" phone to keep in touch now that I'm in the United States?

I should have probably gone to a cell store in PV and got some real answers rather than buy a box and go but the store JR always recommends seemed to be out of everything except high end or really low end almost toy like stuff that I left without buying from them.

Can I still use these cost effectively to Mexico with online minute purchases or is it pretty outrageous and more importantly, would it be cheaper for my Mexican friends to contact me using that Mexico number for calls or texts with the thought that it wouldn't be roaming for them but a cost I would have to absorb on my end?

Any feedback would be appreciated...while fairly electronically inclined, this stuff has always been a great mystery to me.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

I have never had any luck with mine (I may not be doing it right), but I do know calling to the US is inexpensive and much clearer than Skype or any Mexico plan I've tried.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

I have a PV phone. One of those toy phones you talked about. Works great. I bought the cheapest one in case I lost it or got it wet while on vacation. I have used it to text back to PV from Wisconsin. I am not sure how much it cost me. I just texted a friend in Vallarta to see if it workds. So all I can tell you is that it works. I bought a Telcel phone which I believe is connected with AT&T now. So the connection works.

It would be much, much cheaper to use skype if you wanted to call Vallarta. Skype to Skype is free and if you call a cell phone in PV from the USA it is only a few cents a minute. I don't remember the exact amount, but I use Skype all the time to call friends in PV.

I put $10 in my account and set it up so that it pulls another $10 from my credit card if it runs low. I do a lot of talking and it doesn't seem to use much money. Wish I was more help to the exact prices, but I am sure if you checked out Skype, you could figure it out.

Ted, could you help out here? I don't know what you are saying is cheaper.

"Funman"

Edited: 06 March 2014, 19:53
USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

Thanks gents. Ideally, I'd like to continue using it for texts at the very least as my local friend doesn't have internet where she lives so this would help in certain cases when more immediate contact needs to be made. My personal phone is also my work phone and is paid for by them...so it's complicated to add plans and have any extra charges pop up on a monthly basis. This Nokia pay as you go with Telcel seems to have great quality in terms of bars here in the US and I'm tempted to text her to test it out but I don't want her to have to absorb any crazy charges for sending/receiving messages that would probably be roaming even if it's Mexico number to Mexico number. I guess I'll have to do some digging and maybe see if she can get some answers on her end, too.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 20:09
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

Not totally sure about texts, but ALL incoming calls to a Mexican cell are free to the receiver :)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,334 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

When you are in the US you would be roaming on your Mexican phone whether you are calling Mexico or elsewhere. As JR says they won't pay if you call them but they will pay to call or text you unless they have a long- distance plan.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

JR, all incoming calls are NOT free. If you are out of your "home" region, you are charged, incoming texts are free, I think.

The first time I used my Vallarta cell phone in Guadalajara, I found that out! 6 pesos a minute for an incoming call. Now I have the Amigo Optima option where there are no long distance or roaming charges anywhere in Mexico.

It may have changed, but my understanding had been incoming calls would always be free, but they were not!

Edited: 07 March 2014, 06:21
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

Must have changed, it was always my understanding that incoming calls were free. Can not find any reference online to it no longer being free.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

JR, I have a friend who stays in Puebla and lives in Actopan. If I call and the phone is in Puebla, where the number is registered, no charge. If the phone is in Actopan, then a roaming charge to the phone. This has been happening for the last 2 years. Are you keeping an eye on my yellow mangos? :) I will be there in 10 days.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

Ah, so only if you're out of your normal area, like Sue was in Guadalajara. Interesting :)

More and more mangos appearing every day, saw maybe 4 varieties today, including the slim yellow ones

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Mexico cell phone to call/text Mexico from US?

Yes, you do get charged roaming as the receiver if you are out of your home area.

You can add time online-http://www.telmexusa.com/us/retail-mel-payinusa.html