We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

Has anyone ever seen connecting rooms at the Canto and if so what rooms were they from one to the other? I have sent an email to the concierge and have not heard back so am curious if anyone actually ever got one?

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

We stayed in one, for one night, but it's too long ago to quote a room number. But if I recall correctly (we moved rooms several times during our stay there!!), the connecting-room we had was located in the south side part of the hotel, and faced into the courtyard/pool.

Sorry, can't be any more specific.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,403 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

Might depend on what you're trying to book.

When I stayed at Canto del Sol for two weeks in Fall, 2011, I had connecting rooms. Lock-off.

I had to move mid-trip but --- in each case --- I had connecting rooms and both rooms were the same, down the hall from each other. I got them through RCI and it was called a "one-bedroom." The lock-offs consisted of a nice King room with a bathroom and the other (connected) room was a studio with the couches on concrete (comfy though) and a kitchenette, small dining area and bathroom. Two TV's. Two closets. Two safes, etc.

The description (on RCI) said the occupancy was 4.. That would be two in the King and room for a couple of kids on the comfy couches.

As I said, it depends on what you are trying to book and whether you are going as a family or a couple. The rooms I had (very nice and clean with a great maid) were both small and only had one very tiny balcony (not a terrace) so it fit well for me as a single and would have worked for us, as a couple, but it would be tight for more than two, IMO.

Are you asking for a double lock-off? IOW, more than just two adjoining rooms? I can look for my notes but I believe each little unit was around 250 sq ft, so double that. They were much smaller than what we got the following week at Sunset Plaza and what we've had in the past (with lock-offs) at Club Regina and Melia and other places. My units would have been cramped, for more than two people.

Hope that helps.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

That does help. Not through time share, so just booking two rooms and requesting connecting and was just wondering if they indeed had one of the king rooms connecting to a double room. I will wait and see what the concierge says as well. Not to confuse things for myself even more, but I can book two rooms AI for $150 total less than the condo I have rented for 10 nights (that is fully refundable) and for 5 people eating (not counting the baby), that is a lot of money to save on drinks, snacks, breakfasts, etc. and then we can go out every night and we will come out way ahead $ wise, but will give up space. However, much less cooking for me..

I had not intended to look anymore, but it came up for someone else I was looking for and got tempted to see what they had for connecting. Now I wish I hadn't looked.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,403 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

If you're cooking, the kitchenette is small, with a 2-burner stove but it does have a microwave and decent sized fridge. Both of my units did anyway. I didn't cook but did heat up leftovers. Also, I did not do AI, since I get around the area to eat.

Since Canto renovated shortly before I was there, my guess is that there have been no further renovations in the past two years.

If you're thinking about your own family, with the kids, I can see you all stuffing yourself into that space (since you know each other) but it's not expansive. Not much room to move around. Possibly "occupancy" might be an issue. It is, on RCI. Not sure about other reservation sources.

I enjoyed Canto del Sol and would return anytime ---- it worked for me but everyone is different. Not having done AI (which is a draw for many in staying there), I can't comment on that but others have given reviews on the food.

Also, the concierge might be able to advise you on different room options but since I stayed for two weeks and moved in-between, both of those rooms (connecting lock-off) were very consistent. I was on the top floor, in the same wing each time, with the balcony/windows facing south to Now Amber and Secrets. I clearly remember that, as they were finishing construction at the time. View was mostly of the pool but my rooms were toward the beach side so I got a little bay view on one of them.

If you go with your kids, the staff was so sweet that I bet they would love the kids. Great staff there, at least a couple of years back.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

Thanks for the info again. You've been a great help planning. We have cancelled our condo at Las Penas we booked via airbnb (they refunded the whole amount less the booking fee within 5 minutes). I would recommend using them based on their service.

Anyway, we just can't pass up this deal. The Canto for two rooms for the 6 of us with the AI is $150 cheaper than the condo (this was the cheapest condo we found and I looked everywhere including 2 and 3 bedrooms). While I realize we are giving up space, we will save mega $ by going AI and still being able to eat out every night. The resort has said they will make sure we get connecting rooms and they said they will give me a king with a kitchenette connecting to a double. We will be fine, but a little cramped, but the deal is too good. At $88/nt per room Canadian inc. tax with the AI with 3 in each room, you can't go wrong (one adult with two kids in each room is how it's booked). Plus all my clients love this property and they seem to have many return, loyal guests:)

Now to read every review on the Canto:)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,403 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

OK, you're on. You know you will owe us a review, right. ;=))

One of the reviews is from me. I gave them rave reviews. As you know, it will be cramped but you all know each other so if they let 6 people (2 adults and 4 kids) into those units, it will be fine. Just don't expect a huge terrace. If you want to keep track of the kids though, all will be well.

It not fancy, but it was fun for me, as a single. I hope your family (non-single) enjoys it. If I could get a deal at Canto soon, I'd be on a plane. It suits my traveling style.

I hope the reviews will point out that you come down the stairs of Canto and you're on cobblestones. It almost seems like a village. Walk out to the main drag and you can get anywhere easily by taxi or bus. Go across the main drag and you are in Colonia Versalles, which is real Mexico.

If you like Japanese food, one of the best Japanese restaurants I've ever been to (and there are plenty in the SF Bay Area) is Tsunami, close-by. I hope it is still there. Food is incredible and I met a large group there who had come from Guadalajara (they called themselves "Japanese Mexicans" --- spoke fluent Spanish but were of Japanese descent) --- they came down because they said it was so good. It was a 3-generation family.

Also, don't forget Blake's. Right across the cobblestones from Canto del Sol. For me, a trip to PV isn't complete without Blake's. If you love sports, they have them all. I'm sure Sue and Mike would love your kids. It's a great hang-out, for Canadians and everyone NOTB. It's been my *go-to* place since 2008. Fun as heck.

Hope you have fun at Canto del Sol. Other than the slim beach and modest facilities, it's hard to go wrong there if your expectations are in order and you get what you have asked for.

Have fun.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

How it's booked is one adult and two kids per room, so it is not exceeding the maximum at all. We had planned on going to Blake's anyway to stop in (we love hockey and my son thinks it's very cool to be allowed in a sports bar), so we will probably go there every night the Oiler's play. Japanese is one of my kids faves, so that is good to know. The deposit I paid on this is non refundable, so there is no turning back this time:)

We are totally aware of what to expect of a 3 - 4 star kind of property and the beach is something we will just have to deal with. I think we will spend most time at the pool and do a trip to Boca/Mismaloya for our beach fix and maybe a day pass at a Riu or at the new Hyatt (old Dreams, since I think they will let me do a tour to promote their property).

I will definitely write a review and my kids are totally ecstatic to be staying somewhere with a kids club and my hubby is happy to be staying at a simple Mexican feeling hotel. More his style and he doesn't really care for the condo thing, but I like it for a change.

Cheers:)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,403 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

Sounds like you have yours and your family's expectations in order. That's important with Canto as some people don't like it as they expect something a bit different in a resort.

Obviously, I didn't use the kid's club as I was traveling sola but the bartenders around the pool and the entire staff seemed to go out of their way to help. If you're prepared for a place that's not fancy and it's a bit dated and you know your way around town, you will enjoy it. I only had one problem there (and this was 2 years ago) ---- the wireless didn't work at all, though they kept telling me they were working on it. Evidently it does now, based on more recent reports.

Blake's is only a few yards away, out through the Villas Vallarta center across the cobblestones, toward the main drag. Tsunami is in the same large center but a little back from the main drag, slightly to the south of Blake's. It's hidden, but don't give up in finding it --- if it's still there. Hope it is. Low-key location. Very good food.

Enjoy Canto. One of my favorite places to stay in PV and under-rated, IMO.

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
590 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

The wireless was incredibly bad when we were there also. I found myself on the roof or the stairwell a few times getting as close to the signal as possible in order to conduct my business. This was 2 and half years ago though. If I can remember correctly I ended up purchasing internet from los Pelicanos one year. For the price Canto De Sol is worth staying at, though doubt we would stay there again after 4 stays. Time to explore other places.

10. Re: Canto del Sol connecting rooms?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:21