We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do

We will be in Puerto Vallarta at the beginning of April. This is our third time. We love the place. Wondering if there are any special activities, festivals, etc. between the 3rd and 9th of April in or around Puerto Vallarta. We will be renting a car and are not concerned about long drive if the activity is worth it.

Thanks in advance

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do

For a little Mexican history and culture, drive to San Sebastian, a magical town. It will take about two hours from PV. We were there (eight of us) two weeks ago and all thoroughly enjoyed it. Lunch at Comedor La Lupita was fantastic. Here are some links about it.

http://vallartainfo.com/sansebasti.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Sebastián,_Jalisco

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k70216… ml

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k69865… ml

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do

If you go to San Sebastian, there's only one place I would eat, and that's Montebello, closed Mon & Tue.

Best Italian food ever, incongruous I know, but Walter is Italian, his wife Coco was born and grew up in San Sebastian. If I had transport, I would go to San Sebastian, just to eat there.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do

Montebello doesn't open until 1:00 PM. I also heard great things about it, but if you want a truly authentic Mexican meal while in Mexico, Comedor La Lupita would be my choice. All eight of us couldn't stop talking about our lunch there for the rest of our stay in PV.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do

Your week is a quiet break before the crowds of Easter. School kids have 2 weeks off.

Best thing is to keep an eye on English language newspapers and magazines some of which are online, eg. PV mirror and Bay Vallarta. PV Scene Website also has an events calendar.

We also like Comedor Lupita in San Sebastián. Just, wherever you drive, do a bit of research as things don't leap out at you in these quiet towns.

If we can help, let us know what you are interested in (other than Festivals).

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,627 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do

Another thing you can do is go to The Visitors (Tourist) Center close to Guadalupe Church-and the Plaza. They have current newspapers of what's happening in P.V.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 16:33
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,968 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do

agree with jr about Montebello---I'm Italian---very yummy-----owners are friendly---great service too

since you have a car--I'd hit eltuito and go on to mayto

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
620 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do

I am also in agreement with JR about Montebello. It is housed in a beautiful 500 year old family owned home and owner Walter treats you as if you are a longtime friend. The food is delicious and make sure you sample his house-made cellos like his orangecello which is made from the oranges grown in the garden of the home.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do

Plus Montebello has the very best thin crust pizza I've ever had in my entire life. Strange to go to a little Mexican historic silver mining town for incredible thin crust pizza but it was almost indescribable. We enjoyed Lupita's also, very much, but the tourist buses stop there so it can be loud at times. We like the quieter, tinier places.

With a car and --- if the activity is worth it ---- San Sebastian is most definitely worth it.

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
620 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do

Also, if you want to see a good list of what is happening in PV, this is the website I use. I am sure the calendar will be updated with April very soon.

vallartainfo.com/puerto-vallarta-events.htm

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do

We were at Lupita's on a Sunday ... no tourist buses ... just our party of eight, another two-top and a two-top outside. In fact, the only crowd by the restaurant was a local street band with people dancing in the street ... talk about festive!!!