We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

Hi, will be going to PV for first time in May, just trying to get a feel for daily food costs for two people on a budget. Will be staying right by Malecon for a week. Any suggestions for cheap yummy food?

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,514 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

"Any suggestions for cheap yummy food?"

As a starting point: take a peak through "What is the one food you would pick thats best in PV" ..... one of the 'Top questions about Puerto Vallarta' in the list over to the right of here. It's a fun read, and full of great suggestions..

Edited: 30 March 2014, 21:57
canada
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

Not sure what your budget is but you can feast at Taco Stands all week for "cheap yummy food".

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,351 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

Hi neighbor and welcome to the Puerto Vallarta forum. We live near each other.

If it's your first trip, I'd budget about the same that you do in Santa Rosa, on your food. We go out to eat around here (not fancy) and, when in PV, we do the same. Not fancy. I travel on a budget also and find that, with my regular food budget, I spend less in Puerto Vallarta than I do at home in the Greater Bay Area.

Questions: Where you are staying makes a difference. Will you be near a grocery store and do you want to cook or prepare food or keep food (leftovers) in your fridge? Will you be eating out all three meals?

Can you let us know if you have a little kitchen in your place or if you want to eat out daily, for all meals? That makes a huge difference on "food cost per day."

I tend to get by on about $25USD per day (including alcohol) --- others on vacation have a much bigger budget --- but if you're coming for the first time and doing it as a couple, it depends on many things. Where you are staying. If taco carts are nearby. If you have a special meal in mind. Many variables.

Let us know how we can advise you, based on your trip and your vacation goals, and have a great time in Puerto Vallarta. Much depends on where you are staying, but you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Welcome to the forum and your first experience in Puerto Vallarta.

"Cheap yummy food" for me is Rico Mac Taco ----- right near the north Malecón, slightly north of the Hotel Rosita. You said you're staying near the Malecón, but it's a long walkway. "Cheap yummy food" is a perfect description of Rico Mac Taco. Corner of Avenida Mexico and Uruguay.

Have fun.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

I think US25 is on the high side, OK I mostly cook at home, but I could eat all week, without alcohol for about $40US

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

Well, everyone travel differently and much of what your fellow Californian said it on the money. You can do PV cheap or expensive. I try to aim in between. If you are eating out three meals a day with alcohol involved in tourist areas, I'd say you should budget pretty much exactly what you budget at home. For me, that's around $50 a day per person. Of course, pick some of the "famous" spots and you can blow that just for dinner.

Lots of ways to reduce that, of course. Eat where the locals eat (tacos stands, little store front places (comida corridas), stray out into the neighborhoods, stock up on a few things for breakfast and lunches that you can keep around your hotel/condo, buy some booze and make some of your cocktails at home, shop around for places with happy hours, use your walking/sight seeing tour to scope out menus in advance, read the local paper (P.V. Mirror) - lot of places have "specials" on different nights of the week.

Provecho! Hope you enjoy some of the wonderful food for which P.V. is so justly famed.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

Alcohol is the killer, if you want budget, but food,easy 3 meals a day for 200 pesos.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,365 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

I am assuming you are staying at a hotel and without a kitchen. But it's still easy to eat cheap. Breakfast is often my only meal out and that's easy to find for $5-7usd. For lunch you can have tacos or food from the grocery store, again for about $5 max. per person. Dinners in a sit-down restaurant can be anywhere from about $10usd to sky's-the-limit.

I do agree it's cocktails/beer/wine that can get spendy, and I always set up a 'bar' in my room or apartment to help with those costs.

I only agree with JR's estimate if you aren't going to go into ANY tourist restaurants and aren't going to drink much.

I am not extravagant but allow $50/day for meals & drinks myself. But that covers nice restaurants every couple days.

suze

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

Check out JR's site for lots of good info, like this page on Street Food with a taco stand guide: http://vallartainfo.com/streetfood.html

st louis missouri
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

Great advice Denver Dave.My family an I have been traveling to PVR for many years.We usually average 100 dollars a day for 2 persons for all our spending money.Food/taxis/buses.etc.If you are near Los Tules there is a big supermarket where you can get great pastries and easy things for breakfast. Also the whole wood fire chicken with potatoes for 7 or 8 dollars right by the entrance is very good.Cafa Roma and Fredy Tucans for breakfast is always our favorites.My advice to Smkay70 is don't be afraid to ride buses and explore .Enjoy all the things that PVR and it great people have to share.My wife and I will be there in May and we are taking her sister and niece for the first time. CAN'T HARDLY WAIT!!!!!

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on food cost per day, nothing terribly fancy

if where you are staying has a refrig/even stove---you can really go cheap. i don't cook and my hubby refuses to do it---says he's on vaca---so we could even go cheaper than we usually do.

you heard to keep some alohol in your room.

it does help to know where you are staying and if you need 3 square eals a day