We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Puerto Vallarta

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
First time in Puerto Vallarta

Hi, I am planning a trip with my family (9 adults and 7 children, ages 5 - 16) - confused on whether we should rent a house, several condos or stay at a resort? Want to make sure the budget is reasonable for all. I have never traveled with the entire family (my husbands siblings). Want to stay on the beach, we all enjoy the pool and like to have lots of fun - drinking and eating! Suggestions would be much appreciated! I like to usually stay outside of the most busiest areas. Thanks!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

Lots of options out there. Any idea where you want to be? Up North of town you have more all-inclusive type resort options, hi-rise condos and big hotels. Center/Zona Romantico more condos/villas. There are certainly some villas that have as many as 11 bedrooms, come with staff, pool etc. A lot will depend on your budget. The villas look expensive until you do the math - divided by number of adults, factor in having a staff to do cooking/cleaning and they start to make more sense. So, how much? where? how long? what dates? More info will help us help you.

Edited: 05 April 2014, 22:31
Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

Location is what is all about. If you want a tropical setting with clearer water so of town would be best. Might consider renting a home where you all can be together and if it is a beachfront location, you have the best of both. You get a bus to town which would be the least expensive way to get there for your group. What ever you decide to do, you are going to have a great time.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

With such a large group, I agree with Denver Dave. A villa with a pool and a view of the ocean! You'll get a more personalized service and your party will have a private spot to gather at the pool and have fun. Work with the rental coordinator as to what you will do about meals. You might even be able to send some money in advance if there are certain foods and beverages that you want to have in the villa upon your arrival.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

Check Vallartainfo.com for great info.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

I think it also depends on whether you want to do any cooking or not. If not, then AI with a group that size is the way to go IMO. If you don't mind cooking, then you can look at villas, etc. (however this will work out more expensive IMO).

That would be a deciding factor for me.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

Most big villas here have a cook on staff.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

But that can get very pricey and if budget is an issue, then an AI works very well for large groups and families. I have priced out many villas and can't believe how expensive they end up being.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,931 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

A lot of the villas come with their own cook, so check that out. Depends on what you have to spend and that would be helpful for forum members to know for sure. It could work out with 4 couples chipping in and hopefully you're planning this way ahead.

Some people love to cook on vacation. I don't like to do involved cooking while away, but two people we travel with....different times....love to cook and they're in the kitchen having a blast and cooking for all of us. So if you have one or two of those in your group.....pretty nice deal.

On the other hand, since you've never traveled together, are you sure it will go well? How do the kids get along? In the long run it might be wise to stay where you aren't on top of each other....like a resort. Just playing Devil's Advocate here. :-)

Edited: 06 April 2014, 00:18
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

Villas with cooks, etc. can get very pricey. I have priced out many for many different families and weddings, etc. There is a reason that family reunions and destination weddings have become so popular from here and that is because the resorts make it affordable. With group rates people can stay in nice accommodations with the AI and save a lot of money with the every 11th free (air and hotel, etc.) I think it's a good thing for tourist destinations and clearly they are doing well since I do more weddings than ever now:) The people who live in these places must be happy with all the jobs it's created..

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,931 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Puerto Vallarta

I don't think it's a question of whether AI is good for tourist destinations, all types of tourism is good for people employed in PV. This group may indeed do better with an AI resort, but there are way too many stones unturned at this point to know for sure.

People on the forum need to know more details....what is the exact makeup of your group - translated to how many rooms, budget, and time of year can be very important in suggestions and in your final decision. :-)