We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental :)

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental :)

Hi we will be in P V june 16th for a week and will be staying at the CrownParadise bringing our five year old grandaughter this time.I would like to know are there any good car rental companys within walking distance kind of want to stay from airport rentals from what I've been reading here. I couldn't find any car rental info for the Crown or the Golden Crown next door.thanks for any info that you can provide.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,593 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental :)

Your concierge at the Crown will be able to help you, I'm sure they have people they recommend.

We have had no trouble with any rental company in 24 years of renting cars. "Perplexed" would describe me when reading about other people's problems. We haven't even rented from the same company every time and couldn't tell you all the different companies.

Having said that, we rented from National at the airport....(but they're actually across the street) for our last two rentals...the second one being a few days ago. No problems. Get full Mexican insurance. Most companies don't quote you that originally, they just include the liability coverage....so ask for the price on full insurance. Check the car over well and take pics of dents and scratches....but again...no problems for us.

On the other hand, and I know I'm really switching around on you....but you don't need a car in PV since public transportation is so good, and cabs are cheap. Most tourists don't ever rent a car.....public transportation is that good! When we rent we rent for one or two days per trip for just rattling around on special day trips....but you can do most day trips using other means.

But all in all the favorite car rental on the forum seems to be Gecko at the airport. Nobody complains about them, but some say their rentals are more expensive. But, if you are an unlucky people, maybe you should go with Gecko. :-)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental :)

For sure it depends on where you want to go if you even need a car rental. Public transportation is very easy and we always use it with our little kids as well.

We have had nothing but problems renting cars for clients in Mexico so we started getting them to sign a waiver saying we would not be responsible and now our policy is we won't even do car rentals for anyone anymore because there are more problems than it's worth (this is in 18 years of renting cars for people).

However, as posted above, if you feel it is necessary, then make sure to get the full insurance as your own coverage and credit card coverage may not be good enough there. I have not heard many complaints about Gecko either, but that is only from people on this forum, no first hand experience. Just make sure you research it all and take a tonne of pictures if you do rent.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental :)

I highly recommend Gecko in Bucerias, they include everything in their rental fee, including mandatory Mexican liability insurance. Never heard a complaint about Gecko- and they will bring the car to you at your hotel or meet you at the airport.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental :)

I wouldn't go to anyone other than Gecko, the very best and very honest, unlike the others. I have never seen "any" complaints about them !

highland park, IL
Level Contributor
285 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental :)

We rent from Gecko every time in PV. We have had NO problems ever!

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental :)

Never head of anyone having a problem with Gecko.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental :)

Most places have car rental places in the lobby and, especially if you only need a car for the odd day, that's a good option.

Gecko specializes in north of Vallarta and is popular so not be available unless you want at least a week.

A search of this Forum will give you more options. I know one person likes Magna. Another place in the hotel zone called Clover has lots of repeat. Customers. There are others.

To all those who say you should not rent (as opposed to you may not need to rent), I say you don't know what you are talking about from first hand experience driving and renting.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,118 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental :)

vtexhemi,

IF you are going to rent a car in Mexico, here is a link to good information on (Mexican) Car Rental Insurance:

mexperience.com/guide/…5

As maried11 and others have suggested, I would encourage you to TAKE ALL OF THE COVERAGE THAT YOU CAN AFFORD as auto accidents in Mexico are CRIMINAL matters and NOT CIVIL MATTERS as they are in the US or Canada. And IF there is BLOOD or a FATALITY, expect to be held until the whole matter can be sorted out.

Que se diviertan!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,937 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental :)

"Gecko specializes in north of Vallarta and is popular so not be available unless you want at least a week."

Um, I don't think that's accurate. I've known plenty of people in PV who rent from Gecko exclusively and they weren't staying north of town.

While Gecko's offices ARE located north of town, they don't limit themselves to a specific area.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental :)

I have reservations with Gecko. We are renting from them while we are at Lindo Mar. You don't need to be north of town.