We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lime Shortage?

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
719 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Lime Shortage?

Since limes are pretty ubiquitous in PV, I was just wondering how the lime shortage is affecting businesses and customers there?

pe.com/business/business-headlines/20140324-…

I know they're getting expensive here. I saw a case of limes at Restaurant Depot the other day going for $100 US. At my favorite local Pho restaurant, they even switched to offering lemon slices with the soup. That's just wrong.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,401 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lime Shortage?

So far this year, there are still limes in the stores. But, prices have gone up and quality has gone down.

We don't always get the key limes here or the small ones like they have in PV. But boy I hope there isn't a drought of them in PV...otherwise the very VERY few places that sell lemons are going to be inundated.

canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lime Shortage?

It's going to put a "squeeze" on business. Sorry, I couldn't help it.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lime Shortage?

I hope it isn't as bad in PV as here. Three weeks ago limes were 3 for 69¢, a couple of days ago they were 89¢ each, I hate to think what they'll be this week. And they are as small as the limes in PV, but hardly have any juice ;-{(

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,401 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lime Shortage?

Show of hands...anyone believe the droughts in California and the awful winter in Florida have no effect on produce availability and quality?

I'm shuddering to think what avocados are going to run by summertime this year at this rate...

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lime Shortage?

My lime tree is having a stellar year. It has lots of fruit and is loaded with blossoms. Avocados are abundant, as well. What's up with that?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,632 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lime Shortage?

Interesting to read the reasons behind it...

nydailynews.com/news/national/lime-shortage-…

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lime Shortage?

Michocan and Colima have the "plaga" so the lime crops are bad,,,as well they had a cold snap during the blooming process, so many of the blooms were lost. Prices of limes are up- a kilo is usually 40 to 50 Pesos where they used to be 8 to 9 Pesos a kilo... they have been importing in yellow lemons from California (yay!) I just bought two kilos from Ley for 19.90 Pesos a kilo. Been making lots of lemon bars and cookies and gallons of lemonade :)

Because of the high prices, trucks of limes have been hijacked- so there are various reasons why not many are being exported. They are the staple of the Mexican diet and it is hurting the common person as well as businesses.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lime Shortage?

"At least two restaurants in Fullerton and Costa Mesa are offering their $10 margaritas for 25 cents to customers who hand over a bag of homegrown limes."

25 cent Margaritas Spotcat, start pickin'.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,401 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lime Shortage?

spotcat - want to send some of those avocados north? They're charging $1.99 apiece here. And they aren't even ripe. :-(

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lime Shortage?

Avocados are about 35 Pesos a kilo here now. I was buying a bag off the truck (bout a kilo) for ten pesos last month. Spotcat can send me Meyer lemons :) Lychees should be appearing soon! and mangoes!