We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone tried Pipi's?

South River, NJ
Level Contributor
71 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone tried Pipi's?

My wife and I are going to PV in 3 weeks for the first time. We both have been doing A LOT of research on places we'd like to eat at. Even though it's not on the Malecon, we would like to try Pipi's. I THINK it's a few blocks from the Malecon, somewhere just past el Centro. We're looking forward to trying their HUGE margaritas. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks

United States
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone tried Pipi's?

Welcome to the forum!

YES, I've been there. I went on my first PV trip. It is very touristy but fun! I always say you need to go there at least once! Go early because they don't take reservations and there could be a line out the door. Lots of tables are close together. It's quite lively with their mariachi singers. And there's a guy that makes fresh guacamole right at your table. The margaritas are good and so are their fajitas. Lots of good dishes there. The food portions are huge and quite tasty.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 05:49
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone tried Pipi's?

We went once years ago and haven't been back. It's GREAT for big parties. Didn't work well. We had people shaking us down for tips, for making guacamole at the table (with dollars all over the place on the tray). We had the musicians coming up to us saying "$5 dollars" before they even played a song. The waiters were very stern. I think it was because we went to a late lunch and everyone was standing around, looking bored.

Food was OK. Huge portions. Margaritas were "powerful."

We will never go back. It's extremely touristy. We like the authentic places. It's fun for big groups wanting to have a fun dinner together. If you have a big group wanting to party, they put on a good party.

Yes, Pipi's is talked about here a lot, so many of us have tried it. It's one of those places that everyone should try once.

Enjoy.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone tried Pipi's?

Yup...we went there.once, besides being touristy, it was a bitt loud for us.

Many people love it, and is a must each trip.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,734 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone tried Pipi's?

Their margaritas, if you get the large one, are big and very potent. I ordered 2 one-night, when my dinner arrived, I was toast. I asked for a to go box and I set it down somewhere on my malecon stroll. I hope whoever I left it with enjoyed it, it hadn't been touched. :).

new york
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone tried Pipi's?

Pipis is like everyone has described. We like it and go once every trip. It is a loud place at dinner but it's a fun atmosphere.

And as Katnsocal said, watch out for the margaritas. They're almost as big as your head. Twice I drank 2 margaritas. One regular lime and one called The Cadillac. And twice I remember walking out of the restaurant then nothing else... :-) Now, I just have one Cadillac margarita when I go.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone tried Pipi's?

We went there once. That was enough. Too many other good restaurants to spend our money at.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone tried Pipi's?

I think everyone should experience Pipi's at least once. Some people love the restaurant and make it a regular stop on repeat visits to Puerto Vallarta. Others go one time and vow to never return.

Go when you are in a festive, party mood. If you arrive at peak eating hours, looking for a quiet meal; you probably won't enjoy yourself.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 10:26
wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone tried Pipi's?

Agree with everyone above. There are just so many other places to eat. Once you get to PV, you'll hear many people,weather it's at the pool or beach, talking about their great dining pleasures. Be sure to listen. And don't be surprised, that some of the places you are reluctant to enter, will have the best food and service. Enjoy

Edited: 12 April 2014, 10:31
CT
Level Contributor
547 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone tried Pipi's?

Pipi's use to be an every year stop for us (sometimes twice during a 2 week stay). It is still owned by Ruben Fregoso, but the rest of the Family is no longer there (Marcillo and Rudolfo) and it is not the same.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 14:11
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone tried Pipi's?

Read the reviews. You'll get the picture pretty fast. Tourist trap, mediocre food, churn 'em burn 'em, loud, faux party all the time, strong does not = good margaritas, etc. It's one of those places that first time visitors feel the need to try but I'll be surprised if you walk away thinking - "Boy, I just can't wait to go back there." Vallarta is full of a lot better restaurants - IMO.