We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Villa Premiere

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions about Villa Premiere

I've done a search and weeded thorough all the pages that came up. I’m left with a few (OK, a lot) of questions.

The Hubby and I are planning to visit PV June 7th - 14th or 14th - 21st. We've stayed and the GCP for the last 8 years or so and want to try something different.

I'm pretty set on the Villa Premiere but am curious about a few things. We will be doing the AI as we will get our money's worth in drinks. We have no problem going off property to eat and will do so.

1) I understand that AI guests must sign for food and beverages. Does that mean each and every drink at the pool/beach? We tend to be margarita and beer drinkers and they can go down pretty easy for us. I don't mind signing but does this get a bit tiresome?

2) Can I bring my own mugs for pool/beach use? We don't do the huge Bubba mugs but have some Tervis insulated mugs that we love to use (keeps the beer and margaritas colder!). Same for the Buenaventura as we’ll probably pop over there for early morning Bloody Marys.

3) If we do eat dinner at the hotel, is there a dress code for any of the restaurants? I looked on their website and it appears to say "casual" for all of them. I'll pack long pants for the Hubby if necessary but he would prefer not to wear them on vacation.

4) Are there any ATMs nearby (or on property)? We were spoiled at the GCP as they had one right off the lobby. I travel with some pesos but would like to get more as needed.

5) I’ve read here on Trip Advisor that they have different AI “plans.” Is that true? I’m going to have to book with Hotels.com since Villa’s website says “no rooms available” for my dates. I don’t want to be surprised if I end up with a “lesser” AI. Any thoughts?

6) Better to walk or cab to places like Cheeky Monkey (one of our favorites!) or Los Muertos Brewing (and others in that area)? We are in our late 40s but my Hubby has a very bad knee. Walking isn’t a huge issue unless it’s super far and ‘unsteady’ ground. I realize this is a personal thing but am curious what some others think.

Thanks all for you insight and input!! Much appreciated.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,989 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Villa Premiere

It's a long walk from VP/Buenaventura to the south-side (where Los Muertos Brewing is located). I do it often but I'm in good shape and walk several miles every day in PV.

With a "very bad knee" you will want to use a taxi (even the bus is a bit hairy what with the steep steps to get on, etc.). I would consider it "super far" and definitely "unsteady ground" (cobblestones, steep curbs, etc.)

suze

ps-Sorry don't know about the resort for your other questions.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Villa Premiere

Thanks Suze! I was kind of thinking taxis may be the way to go. I've no problem with that. Sometimes it's an adventure!! :-)

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,989 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Villa Premiere

de nada. I'm not sure exact distance, but it's at least a mile or two. Taxi should be 50 peso (less than $5 bucks).

Hopefully some Villa Premiere guests chime in with other answers :) suze

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Villa Premiere

I had Knee surgery in 2012, but I well remember what it was like to be in PV and not walk as much as I was used to doing while there.

But before surgery, I still walked and if I didn't try to go real fast I was alright for quite awhile. Moderation was the key and I got off of my feet once in awhile at any of the many places to get refreshment. And an Ace bandage helped give me extra support. A cane may help as well, you see lots of people using them in PV.

What you described sounds like my problems back then. Either way, since you're saying walking isn't a huge issue, then you'll find lots of good sidewalks these days. Even on the bad ones, knee problems or not...we all have to watch where we're going.

You'll be on Avenida Mexico so shouldn't need a cab if you should choose to walk. It has mostly a nice sidewalk on the west side of the street, then you hit the Malecon which is also nice.

Taxi's abound, you can't walk without a cabbie asking you if you need a taxi, so you'll always be able to cut it short when you want to. :-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Villa Premiere

Villa Premiere does not have an ATM on site but there are Santander Bank ATMs a block and a half from the hotel, on the north side of Nicaragua between Av. Mexico and Peru. The OXXO one block south of the hotel on Av. Mexico may also have an ATM. I know many of the OXXO locations do have ATMs but since the bank is so close to the hotel I have never looked for an ATM at that OXXO.

Like Kansas said, the Av. Mexico sidewalk from the hotel to the Malecon is wide and smooth so should not be a problem if your husband's knee isn't acting up. But when it is or when you are headed to the South Side, you don't even have to walk out to Av. Mexico to get a cab -- the bell man will get one for you. There is a sitio at the Buenaventura so there is never a long wait for a cab.

I stay at the Villa Premiere regularly but I don't stay AI so I can't answer your specific AI questions. Last year sfallsguy was trying the VP for the first time after many stays at the GCP like you and also going AI. I don't know how regularly he monitors this forum but you might PM him to ask your AI questions. Here is the link to his thread from last year:

tripadvisor.com/…47518793

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,989 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Villa Premiere

But she asked about walking all the way to Los Muertos Brewery from VP. Sidewalks are OK along Ave Mexico (I agree) but it's a LONG way from there to LMB, too far for someone with a "very bad knee" to walk. I estimate approx. 30 mins. (and that's me in sneakers no injury walking fast). -suze

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Villa Premiere

I could do that walk easy! BTW I turn 74 at the end of this month

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,948 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Villa Premiere

I'm sure it could be an easy walk, but speaking as someone who has had knee issues and a surgery, concrete, tile and cobblestone do take a toll. If you aren't used to it, you may find it can cause pain and swelling unexpectedly.

If you do plan to walk, take very good walking shoes with lots of shock support and I agree with taking an Ace bandage or support sleeve for extra support.

Only your husband will know what his tolerance is, but don't push it so you don't lose the rest of your trip to ice packs and pain.

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
143 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Villa Premiere

Hi,

You'll enjoy VP! We stayed AI for 4 days last July and loved it - had some great meals (unfortunately the reviews aren't as good lately). You "run a tab" at the different bars and restaurants and just sign off when you leave - no problem:) The staff are awesome but then everyone in PV is friendly.

We walked to the Malecon and area often but we had no physical concerns - cabs are probably your best bet. They're inexpensive and it's not far. We debated staying there again last month but have decided the southside condo thing is for us. Have a great time!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about Villa Premiere

Thanks everyone! We'll figure out what to do about walking. The exercise is good for us but we may have to catch a cab part way. Hubby has no ACL in his knee (since 1988) and his leg has bowed out due to this. Pain is bad but he's too young for a replacement. He can walk and does exercise (with no impact) but any sort of 'long' walkd (or unsteady ground) can be very really painful for him. We may start out walking and can always catch a cab part way if he can't quite make it. Like Jenny said, we don't want him to suffer the entire trip because of one jaunt into town. :-) Been there, done that.

Castaways, we don't require goumet meals so we'll be good with what ever they offer. We really are more interested in relaxing, having beers and drinks by the pool, and visiting one of out favorite cities!! I may direct message you with another coupld of questions I thought of!!