We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food gifts

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
food gifts

In pv now in romantic zone. Recommend place to buy mole and hot sauce to bring home. Your favorites please!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,491 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: food gifts

Try Los Mercados. They may have some pre-made stuff.

Hot sauces, I usually go to Soriana as they have an entire section - HUGE selection. Cheap, too. I tend to buy a few for friends - a green, a red, and then something extra hot.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,146 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food gifts

I would try El Mole de Jovita restaurant on Basilio Badillo and see if they sell any of their sauces... great mole, poblano and tomatillo!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: food gifts

Actually, since you live in Chicago I wouldn't bother bringing back most of food items. You have so many amazing Mexican specialty stores in your area. The only thing you might not find at home that I always bring home with me for gifts is real Mexican vanilla - available widely - groceries, farmacias, even the airport duty free on the way home. The US stuff just doesn't compare IMO.

Danvers...
Level Contributor
901 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food gifts

I brought home sugared pecans as gifts this year and they were a hot. Just a thought.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food gifts

That's what I was coming to say too (post #4). I always bring home the spicy and sweetened nuts (pecans, cashews, peanut, etc.) from my favorite store in Centro and they are very popular w/ my friends, family, co-workers.

Bottled hot sauces I just buy from any grocery store. I thought mole needed to be made fresh. I never thought of it as something you'd buy in a jar or can??

suze

Edited: 17 April 2014, 20:34
Crystal Beach, Texas
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food gifts

I also bought the candied pecans for friends and everyone loved them. Me, too! The cheapest we found were either next door to Takos Panchos or a couple of doors down to the west. They let you taste before you buy. I bet you will buy one for yourself as well. You will smell them before you see them because they cook them up right beside their open door.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food gifts

I make a special trip to Dulces Tipicos Mexicanaos, 449 Juarez (at Mina) downtown. I love the guy in that shop and it has a larger selection than the smaller new stores on the south-side.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,179 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food gifts

I love his main shop on Juarez. But if you are only wanting to go to the south side/romantic zone, the south side shop had all the nuts and seeds a couple weeks ago. I think they're a terrific food gift. Can't eat just one!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: food gifts

Hmmm - well, I may be misinformed but I thought (maybe still do think) that a lot of these food items that are not "sealed" are not allowed in the US. Loose nuts, seeds, spices, etc. I was under the impression could not be brought back into the US. Would love to hear info to the contrary because I, too, love the sugared pecans, spicy pepitas, etc. I just assumed they were verboten.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,491 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: food gifts

I've had pre-made mole from a jar, but only from higher end gourmet food shops or restaurants that specialize in it. I definitely wouldn't be looking to skimp on that because of the technicality of the process to make it.

If it's available in a jar I suspect Los Mercados would have it.