We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to Malecon from GCP????

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
638 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to Malecon from GCP????

We are walkers and would like to know if it's feasible or not???? Also are there a few watering holes along the way??? If so which would you recommend???? Also a great place for lunch in the Malecon area. Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,946 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to Malecon from GCP????

It's do-able but it's pretty boring. Those of us who walk all over PV will likely tell you that you can do it, but it's very un-scenic --- along a major boulevard (Fco. Medina A. --- "main drag" going north and south).

I once walked from WalMart to downtown but only because I knew some of the restaurant people and it was a very pleasant day and I was there for a month. Pleasant day. Non-interesting walk.

From GCP, just head out to the "main drag," and turn a short left. There is a little bus shelter there. Take the city bus for 7.5 pesos and get off around Hotel Rosita (or anywhere along the route) and do your walking there. So much more interesting.

The newly-improved sidewalks (with even marked bicycle paths) begin slightly south of the Sheraton. You will have a wonderful walk if you start there. Plenty of fellow walkers. I walked it most days on a recent trip (from the Villa Premiere down to the southside Malecón extension). That's the part that's fun.

Yes, you can do it if you are walkers, but you may want to save your walking-energy for "the fun part?"

Enjoy.

AR
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to Malecon from GCP????

I am an avid walker and have done it from Hacienda Hotel and Spa next door to Krystal (Playa del Oro) both by land and by sea many times. I much prefer to go by beach though there is one very rocky stretch and sometimes during rainy season you may have to detour to land for a bit if the river/s are swollen. There is much more to see on the beach. There are several places where you could buy a drink. I usually just take a bottle of water and wait until I hit the malecon to drink. (Cheeky Monkey, Oceana, Sea Monkey all have $1 beer and margaritas). Depending on how much I stop and look around, it takes @ 45 min- an hour of good walking to get to the Rosita Hotel ... the malecon starts just past the hotel. I walk back or take a taxi or ride the bus depending on whether I am by myself or with others, etc.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,927 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to Malecon from GCP????

Most definitely "feasible". I walk miles every day in Vallarta. You'll find plenty of places to stop along the way. Sorry no specific recommendations as it not my usual stomping grounds (I'm on a bus if I'm up that part of the city). But it's definitely walkable for a walker :) suze

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to Malecon from GCP????

Well, it's a hike - that's for sure. But, I've done it before. My Google map says it's about 5 miles - for me that's definitely do-able. The problem is that (as you know if you know Vallarta) we're not talking smooth, level sidewalks all the way so you'll be on and off sidewalks, streets, construction, etc. etc. If you're not in a big hurry I'd say an hour and a half?? Just guessing. If you follow the "main drag" there are all kinds of little restaurants/bars/etc. along the way to stop and "refresh". If you poop out you can catch a bus anywhere along the way. For lunch I'd walk on past el Centro a bit along the Malecon extension South toward the Rio Cuale and have lunch at Vitea - superb!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,946 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to Malecon from GCP????

Missed your "watering hole" comment. Have to laugh as that's why it takes me so long. Dropping by to see people whose restuarants I've eaten at over the years.

If you do walk it and stay on the same side of the "main drag," SO stop off at Blake's. They open at noon though (most days --- sometimes they don't open at lunch time). It's in the Villas Vallarta Center about half-way through a walk from GCP to Hotel Rosita. They will always have a cold one for you and some really good food. Mike and Sue are from Canada (and I don't know where you live ---- can't tell by your avatar) but it's one of my go-to-places for each trip to PV. They let me in, even though I'm from California.

Don't miss Blake's on the way down. Easy to spot, with the tables outside. Mike and Sue and Carlos and Pablo (and the rest of the staff) will make sure you have a good time. If you want to eat there though, be prepared for some days being "special days" and being packed and needing reservations. Most days, in the afternoon, it's quiet and a great place for a beer.

Enjoy your walk.

San Diego
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking to Malecon from GCP????

I think this is certainly walkable and not IMO boring at all. I haven't walked from the GCP but from the Holiday Inn which is closer to downtown than GCP. We have walked both on the beach - checking out the various resorts as we have gone and along the main "drag".

There will be some small stores along with way, some restaurants, and if you want to walk off Fco Medina to several side streets - you might be surprised what you will find. Behind the block buster is one of the 8 Tostados locations - would make a good lunch stop. Someone mentioned Blake's and that is a great place to stop to wet your whistle or get a bit to eat. There are also - though it requires crossing the street several taco stands (sorry don't know the names) - one with a red tent is our favorite. as you get closer to downtown there are other places to stop and eat as well - Rico mac taco is a place we have stopped as well. I actually enjoy checking out the 5 de Diciembre area that you will walk through.

I enjoy walking. I would recommend that you bring a bottle of water, especially during the warmer months. I find it both walkable and there are places to stop. Of couse, as the bus runs right along there, if you get tired you can always just hop on - they seem to run every minute! LOL.

if you do go along the beach, as another poster mentioned, there are some rocky areas, where depending on the tide, might make it hard to get around. You can always then just walk up to the main street and continue.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 00:26
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking to Malecon from GCP????

I walk a lot, I can show you my calfs :)

The walk I could do easy, boring? don't know, but not scenic in anyway. Personally I'd catch a bus to Parque Hidalgo, a block up from the Rosita Hotel and the beginning of the Malecón.

Level Contributor
638 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking to Malecon from GCP????

Thank you all very much for the info. I will walk if I feel like it. Who knows after downing some TKTs and TQ who knows what i'll feel like. If anything I may do Marly's suggestion take the bus or if I walk look up spartan's of walking and stopping at a few H2O holes. I definitely will do skt's suggestion and look up cheeky monkey. You've all been very helpful.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,951 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking to Malecon from GCP????

For a Malecon lunch with a view, give Mi Querencia A look.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,946 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking to Malecon from GCP????

Holeinone --- feel free to PM me as I stay in the Hotel Zone regularly (which you will be passing through) and could pretty much tell you everything you will see, block by block. You'll pass dance clubs (Strana and JB's, etc.) and some little shops and Burger King and KFC and some farmacias and ice cream shops and La Playa (liquor store) and Gold's Gym and a few cute restaurants, like Las Caracoles (if they are open). I do that particular route regularly, several trips a year. Also, I'm only talking about the west side of the street, so far.

The walking route from Holiday Inn toward the south does get a little more interesting, with the shops/storefronts being smaller. From GCP to Holiday Inn, you'll be passing Super Soriana and Hacienda Buenaventura and the restaurants right north of the Krystal, then Xtine and Krystal and the Peninsula Mall (Starbucks, El Portón --- on the streetfront, etc.) and then you finally get to Holiday Inn. It does get a little less *boring* at that point. Not meaning to say that Soriana and Krystal and Peninsula are "boring,"but there are no little shops, etc. It's resort fronts.

On that side of the street, you'll be going past Villa del Palmar and Villa del Mar and Friendly and Fiesta Americana and Los Tules. You might also like to take a jaunt across the main drag, at that point, to wander through the Plaza Caracol Mall. You'll recognize it from the LAN's sign. Loads of small shops (boutiques, souvenirs, shoes, clothing and much more) and a big Soriana grocery as well as a food court and theater and nail places and internet cafes, etc. We love that mall, especially on super-hot days, as they have A/C so we'll walk back and forth.

Moving down the street south on your way to the Malecón (on the same side as GCP and Krystal and Holiday Inn, etc) it gets to the smaller, older shops and the nightclubs and Office Depot, etc. and then you come to Blake's. A great place to stop for a brew. South from there is the large Mega grocery and the Sheraton. Then there is a stretch with no much (again) until you walk awhile and get into the area with La Mision Hotel approaching Villa Premiere and Buenaventura and onto Avenida Mexico. Nice sidewalks there.

We do that route several times each trip while staying in the Hotel Zone, so if any of this sounds interesting to you --- for your walk --- do it. It's my 'hood (as a traveler) so I'm sure you can find something intriguing there. If it wasn't interesting to me, we'd stay someplace else.

Your original question was about walking to the Malecón from GCP so I wasn't sure how much time you wanted to spend getting from one to the other. It will take awhile. For us, it's where we often stay, so we're used to that walking stretch. For someone not used to it, hard to know if you would find it captivating. If you do, you'd find plenty to explore.

Have fun.