We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Vallarta

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ontario
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secrets Vallarta

My husband and I will be at Secrets later this afternoon! Just waiting in Toronto to board our plane. So excited - first time to Puerto Vallarta and first time to a Secrets resort. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Any questions I can answer, let me know and I will do my best!!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Vallarta

Congratulations on your first trip to PV!

Maybe you already know about the timeshare sharks in the airport, but just in case you don't it's something you'll want to avoid.

After you're finished in Customs you'll go through a set of glass doors. A minute or two later you'll come across 4 or 5 people on each side of a wide aisle, so you have to pass through them. (you have lots of space though) They will look like they must be representative of something legitimate.

They will call out asking if you need a ride, or some have signs with the name of a hotel, and anything else that would interest a new arrival at the airport. This is to trick people into a free ride so they can try to talk you into attending a timeshare presentation.

Walking past them only takes 5 seconds, so ignore them and keep walking until you see TAXI on several booths. That's what you want unless you're getting to Secrets a different way.....but don't fall for the tricks of the timeshare sharks.

Have a nice flight!

Edited: 18 April 2014, 14:42
Gateshead UK
Level Contributor
446 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Vallarta

We will be there in 3 weeks time. If you could find out how the Now Amber / Secrets split works.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Vallarta

What exactly do you want to know about the split between Amber and Secrets? Quick answer is, Secrets guests can use Amber but Amber guests can not use Secrets. The only thing Amber guests can do is go to Secrets for dinner using the Sip, Savor & See program. You make a dinner reservation with the concierge and you can go to dinner at Secrets, and stay for the show or to sit at the bar after dinner. But that's it, can not use the pool or any other Secrets facilities when staying at Amber.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Vallarta

This has kind of been a wishy/washy deal at the resort since it opened. We keep being told they would enforce this rule (NA guests can't use Secrets except the few things) but then people report being able to do that. I have clients who said they had no problem going back and forth from NA and clients who were po'ed about it from Secrets. I suspect it will be pretty lax again now that it is getting to a slower season, but hopefully will be enforced come busy season next year.

When I was there (bought a day pass for NA which was significantly cheaper than the Secrets day pass) and no one checked either way???

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Vallarta

While you may be able to "sneak" over to Secrets to use some facilities, fact is you're not supposed to. And you have to give a room number when eating at any of the restaurants so that will exclude being able to eat anywhere, if you give a Now Amber room number.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Vallarta

There has been no asking for the most part and no problem at all eating over there. People are happy from NA and not happy from Secrets. This is reports from my clients and when I was there, no one even checked or asked. I do hope it changes though. They share the ala cartes.

ontario
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Vallarta

We made it! Enjoying a few drinks at the lobby! Absolutely breathtaking!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Vallarta

I stayed at both hotels in January. They don't share restaurants. What is on the Secrets side is for Secrets guests, unless dining on the Sip, Savor and See program. They do ask for room numbers when you check in for dinner with the host of a restaurant. If they didn't ask, that would be the incorrect policy and I was asked for my room number every time I went for a meal. As per the hotel, and as stated on the Now Amber FB page many times:

"The common areas at Secrets are exclusive to Secrets resorts. Our Now Amber guests may only access the gourmet restaurants between the hours of 6-11 pm through their Sip Savor & See perk"

I loved both hotels, the rooms, food and service were great but Secrets was really fabulous. Then again, I do prefer adults only resorts. =)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Vallarta

That is a totally different experience from most reports and the ala cartes are shared (according to our AMResort reps) the only thing is a few are AO, so kids can't go, but if you are at NA you can go (according to the rep). You can call it the sip and share, but either way, they are able to use them which is what I had said. I did not mean the buffets, which is why I stated ala carte. We were there in Jan. 2013 and spoke with the sales director who gave us the whole run down as she was giving the pros and cons of both.. She definitely said about NA guests not supposed to be using the Secrets side but admitted they were lax. Hopefully next season they will have this as their standard procedure.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Vallarta

Travel junkie, we are also from Ontario and arriving this afternoon! Can't wait to get there