We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

Somers, Connecticut
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

Hello,

We have been to Mexico on Caribbean side a few times, we are going to akumal this summer. Starting to think about next years trip and after researching PVC sounds like a great choice. Any suggestions on where to stay, we are a family of 4, with 2 teens 16 & 19? We like condo for the extra space, 2 or 3 bedroom and bath. Looking for a location that we can walk to at least a few restaurants , pool and beach. I understand the sand and water are not like Caribbean side which is fine. Thank you!

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

Chell2139,

Welcome to TA! Now just to clarify, ar you referring to Pto. Vallarta (since you posted in that forum) or to PDC.....as your abreveation (PVC) is just a bit confusing.

In order to help you decide on a property or condos, we will need just a bit more information. What is your budget? What does your family like to do? Are you wanting AI or do you prefer to cook in or visit restaurants?

With some responses to these questions, regular forum guests should be able to provide some good insight fo you. Safe travels.

¡Que se diviertán!

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

You might consider some place a little south of town where the beaches are better, water a little clearer and it is a lot more tropical. The Conches Chinas area is close and only a 5 min.bus ride to town. You can also walk along the beach to town. Here is a video of the area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetWm4am-eE

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

Hi Chelle and welcome to the PV forum! I'm assuming you did mean PV since you said you know it isn't the Caribbean side and that was fine.

You can start getting acquainted with PV by looking at the maps in the website below. Downtown and the South Side are the most popular areas for restaurants, shopping, and walking. Of the two the South Side is the most popular. The maps are in order N to S.

http://www.vallartainfo.com/

It sounds like you don't mind being in a condo off of the beach?. I'm wondering because you said "walk to at least a few restaurants, pool and beach.

And are you wanting a condo within a resort or does that matter to you?

It sounds like this trip is for summer 2015, is that correct?

Somers, Connecticut
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

Thank you all for your replies!

Yes sorry I did mean PV. Here are a few more details...

The trip is next summer 2015 ( I know it is early, but I love the planning and researching), budget is approx $250-300 per night (or slightly higher), do not want an AI as we like to venture out and try new restaurants. With the 2 teens 2-3 bedroom and bathrooms are needed.

I like the idea of a condo complex and would like to be on the beach or very close. I was hoping to have a few restaurants in walking distance, we don't mind driving or taking taxi's some nights.

We like an active vacation , plan on zip lining, atv, ect.

Thank you again and I will go check out maps and video!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

Really no where in Conchas Chinas for "we can walk to at least a few restaurants"

There are several condo buildings on the southside which has loads of restaurants I've heard that Vista de Sol has nice large condos.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

You're going to find MANY nice condos on the beach and below your price range because it's low season and the prices are amazing. You don't need to spend your budget on a condo unless you want to. Your choices are so many that it would be easier for you if you can decide what area you would like to stay in.

The South Side aka Romantic Zone and Old Town...

is the perfect area for walking everywhere to restaurants, shopping and Los Muertos Beach and further into the colonias. This is an active interesting area but will be quieter during the summer. It has a great vibe, and is a good area for your teens to walk around together or go to the beach on their own. Lots of variety here. Do you have an area in your town where it's older, hip with lots of great restaurants and shops and charm etc?. The South Side is equivalent in vibe, but it won't look like anything you have at home.

The Marina .....

has restaurants and shops too. They're mainly within the Marina area. It is about 15 - 20 minutes from the Malecon in Downtown by bus or cab. To me this area is like being anywhere because it's newer than the South Side, so it doesn't have the flavor that being in town somewhere will have. But, because it's a newer area as compared to the South Side, you'll find much bigger condo buildings with much bigger pools.

I have nothing against the Marina and some prefer to be more removed, and make trips to town so they like the Marina for that reason. And of course your teens can walk around here as well. But, it is more encapsulated in it's own world and a lot of the restaurants and shops look like home. Marina lovers might be mad at me, hope not. :-)

I'm not sure what condos might be available in the hotel zone, but there are some resorts like Sunset Plaza which has generous spaces for families, and a choice on AI, large pool etc. more of a resort setting.

I'll just give you a capsule of the possibilities on the South Side..... and others can give you some ideas on the Marina or other areas.

I love 504, you get both views and sun and shade. The pool here is small but you just might have it to yourselves in the summer. Plaza Mar is just slightly removed from the activity on Los Muertos Beach.

http://www.puerto-vallarta-rentals.com/

Vista del Sol building - these are in a little quieter area, and more removed from Los Muertos Beach

http://www.vrbo.com/254357

http://www.vrbo.com/46367

All of these above are just examples, you have tons of choices. You'll find the two buildings labeled on your map for the South Side.

I'm sending you a private message with another suggestion on the South Side.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 15:21
7. Re: 1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 16:17
Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

Molina de Agua, Vista del Sol, La Palapa, Plaza Mar, Plaza Dorada are all beach front (Los Muertos) and all are close to everything including a nice walk to downtown. Best pool is Molino de Agua- best value would be the condo Teduardo rents at Vista del Sol.... both mentioned above.

The only thing, if you are here in the rainy season, the water in front of the Molino de Agua tends to be brown because of the run-off from the Rio Cuale (river next door)

The Lindo Mar a little south of town has a restaurant (great breakfast, lunch dinner and happy hour!) and while you can walk to los Muertos beach (via the beach) it is a quick and cheap bus ride to the south side of town. Lindo Mar often has great summer specials on Trading Places. Sometimes as low as $199 or $299 a week. The beach is smaller but has great tide pools. Many people are repeaters there.

Somers, Connecticut
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

Thank you all for the great advice! I will start looking into all the recommendations.

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,687 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time PVC with teens-where to stay?

Kansas gave you some great advice---we love the southside. and you can get a great condo for much less due to low season.

funny---she gave you 2 condos as examples.

this june for 2 weeks and a week in july--I am staying at that second condo---never have before but it is $75 a night.

the location of vista del sol, plaza dorada, plaza mar are awesome.