We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many pesos...

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
438 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
How many pesos...

Do you all usually bring for a week in PV? (other than tips money)

I know we will do some shopping & traveling out of the resort.

I just don't have a point of reference as to what things cost there.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many pesos...

Are you staying in an all inclusive or no? Do you eat out every meal? Do you skip breakfast and just eat lunch and dinner? Are dinners fancy.... or just 1-2 fancy ones? It all depends on how much you want to eat out. Are you renting a car for travelling out of the resort or are you taking a taxi or bus? Do you have excursions you want to do outside of the resort?

These are variables that can be huge or quite economical depending on how you want to play your cards.

Texas
Level Contributor
438 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many pesos...

We will be at Velas Vallarta - which is I believe all-inclusive. I suppose we will eat out either at the resort or in town at each meal. I imagine we will eat 2-3 meals a day, but not 3 each day. yes probably only 1-2 fancy in that week & I would love to know a great place to bring a group (outside the resort). I had not thought about renting a car - so probably taxi or bus to excursions ( I am reading up on those now).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many pesos...

Does that include food off the resort?

There are many variables. If you're a big souvenir shopper or like nice meals and plan on taking tours (formal tours, bus, cabs?), it's going to be different from home but I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (not cheap) and find it costs me about half to stay down in PV as it does to stay home, since I don't have to buy gas for the car or pay bridge tolls or buy expensive groceries. I travel by bus. How will your be traveling?

We'll need more information in order to advise you.

Is this your first trip? Where are you staying? How many meals a day do you plan to eat out? What type of shopping and traveling do you have planned? How long will you be in Puerto Vallarta? Do you enjoy fine dining or local, smaller restaurants? Knowing such things, about your traveling style will help us help you.

As I said ---- as far as what things cost?.....I live outside San Francisco so everything is less expensive than at home. Depends on what you pay at home and what you plan to purchase (food, travel, gifts, etc.)

Let us know more about your plans, so we can help more. Need some details. Please help us help you.

Edit --- we're all writing at the same time. Hope you can help us out with more details. What works for one might not work for others, based on your vacation plans.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 04:29
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
437 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many pesos...

Just wing it, you can always get more pesos out of the ATM, just like you can back home.

Texas
Level Contributor
438 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many pesos...

Y'all are so nice thank you for your help.

To answer Marly's q's: not typically big souvenir shoppers but I do know I want a hammock & some gifts to bring back (quality over quantity). We definitely want to get off the resort & see some history/culture. I believe the larger group (about 12 people) are doing a fishing excursion - someone else is in charge of that. Yes this is our first trip. As to restaurants- I would love to visit some "mom & pop" types of restaurants - we are not chain restaurant people here at home. When we travel here in the US we look for local places to eat.

We will be there a full week.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many pesos...

I would take 8564 pesos

Texas
Level Contributor
438 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many pesos...

Thanks Randy - I don't use an ATM here at home.

Texas
Level Contributor
438 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many pesos...

Yaz - you think around $700 in USD converted to roughly 8500 pesos is a good amount? Do you usually allot about $100 USD a day more or less for your trips?

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many pesos...

You should be fine on $100 US a day unless you are a big drinker... otherwise, estimate $7 for breakfast $10 or so for lunch (maybe less if you eat tacos or small mom & pop restaurants) and $25 for dinner- not including drinks. hammocks can range from $25 to $100 US depending on size and quality. Taxi from Velas to downtown is about 70 to 80 Pesos- so figure $6.00 each way for up to four people in a taxi.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many pesos...

It's a situation of "tweaking." You indicate it's your first trip to PV so the most important thing is that you have options, such as taking some USD (it works some places, to exchange, but not everywhere) and contact your bank, as far as being there ---- and just have some options and cushions.

Glad to see you checked back in. We really DO want to help but for those of us who either live there (bzy) or frequent travelers (me --- for 30 years, just as an example but many people here have been making trips to PV for years)....we're trying to help but need specific information, to head you in the right direction.

Most important ---- have options. Call your bank to tell them you'll be in Puerto Vallarta and take a credit card that's not max'ed out, in the case of emergencies (the hospital will love you for that, as they loved me in February when I spent an afternoon there) and do your research. You are doing it, by asking this question.

I go to PV frequently (multiple times a year) and have traveled there for over 30 years. Everyone is different. We are asking you these questions for specifics, in order to give you a direction.

As far as the "simple answer," if you have traveled to other tourist areas, I'd look at your spending patterns and figure out how many USD you usually use on vacation and get that amount of pesos, either from exchanging USD into pesos (not possible everywhere) or ahead of time in Texas (if you can) or through an ATM machine in Puerto Vallarta.

Just keep your options open. Easier said than done, with some of us living there or being frequent long-term travelers. Trying to help.

Easy for us (who live there or travel to PV constantly) to tell you what to do. You're a first-timer and I hope we've helped and you have a great time. Do know that the exchange rate changes by the day, so don't worry too much about that. It's not worth the angst to try to get the best rate, if you haven't been there before.

Bottom-line ---- we are here to help.