We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lancaster ohio
Level Contributor
277 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

Just got back from another great vacation at pv. We really enjoyed going over to the marina every morning going out for breakfast at different restaurants all great and very reasonable.And at night head to old town and the malecon to try out a different place for dinner and drinks every night Its so much fun and the prices are right. We cant imagine why anyone would want to go all inclusive and eat the same food at the hotel for 7 straight days. Also so many of the restaurants are suffering from slow business because of the hotels all inc packages. Any imput on this ?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

I think it's for people who don't like stress: Is it dangerous out there? What if they don't speak English? What if we get ripped off? What if we get lost? What if, what if...

Personally, AI has less than zero appeal to me. I *like* a little stress with my holidays. Force me to climb some mountains, learn a language...

To each their own...

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

Are you asking a question or stating an opinion? We usually take shorter trips, 4 night get-aways and like the option of not looking for a place to eat each night- so choose to stay at AI's. We vacation for the warm weather and complete relaxation in Mexico - no hassle, no drama. That said, we've eaten at wonderful restaurants both in our home town of the Twin Cities and around the country, and have not ever felt we are missing out on what we want to accomplish on a trip. To each their own would be a tolerable attitude. Glad you enjoyed your vacation :)!

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
6,870 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

It all depends on what youre looking for in a vacation and what type of all-inclusive hotel youre staying at; today its not all buffet or the same food all week, some hotels have multiple dining options as well as ala carte, top shelf liquor and adults only... we generally stay all-inclusive, spend most of our days relaxing at the pool and go into town most nights for dinner; breakfast, lunch and drinks at the hotel alone is worth the price of the all-inclusive for us and we enjoy the best of both.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

Different strokes for different folks- that is one reason why Vallarta is so popular.

My husband I do not drink, so A?I 'cuz of the BOOZE factor holds no allure for us. He also hates buffet food and I am not a fan either. Albeit some expensive A/I hotels have great buffets and Ala Cart restaurants.

We save money by not going A/I except in Cancun... but in Vallarta it is much easier and cheaper to get around and we have great restaurants in every budget.

Now if we want one day to DO NOTHING and take full advantage of an All Inclusive, we will go stay at one for one night...and I may indulge in a drink :) while I lay by the pool and eat all day :)

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
375 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

Maybe......some people aren't as adventurous. My DH will vacation outside of USA & Canada, but he needs to be within his comfort zone. He feels safer staying outside of a "city", with a day or 2 visiting that "city" during daylight hours. An AI Resort provides that comfort level he needs, while a day trip or 2 gives me some of the freedom that I might like.

Maybe.....it is much more cost effective (from Canada) to purchase an AI pkg of hotel, meals, beverages, entertainment, flight, transfers & air than it is to purchase them separate. What we sometimes have to pay for air alone to a Caribbean location is just a tad less than an AI pkg for a week!

Maybe.....if you read reviews and do your research, you can find an AI that has a la carte restaurants, and a buffet that varies it's offerings. Or, don't have everything from the buffet every night, if the buffet is the same old-same old, mix it up...chicken tonight, fish the next, soup and salad another.

In our vacationing history this works for us, one year an AI to Mexico or Dominican Republic, the next Hawaii, Arizona or Vegas where we do rent a car and adventure about, eat out at different locations and feel free to roam.

Plus, I love being waited on, drinks and snacks when anyone is ready not when everyone is ready. Oh! I also love trying the tropical beverages, if I don't like one I have no problem leaving it and trying something else until I find a few favourites. In my normal life, I am way to $$ aware to to that.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

I love all-inclusive for the convenience. I never dream of being trapped at our resort only eating resort food. We go out when we want, stay in when we want. We're quite active and like to be out and about eating where ever we have a whim. I also like to have some rest time and love not having to drag around a lot of cash or credit cards, or even to dress up to go out. We don't travel on a tight budget so I have never added it all up to see if it was a good deal or not. But for our upcoming trip I do know it was less expensive for us to go for an AI package then booking the flight and non all-inclusive room separately.

Colchester, VT, USA
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

The Los Arcos adds $31 a day for 2, when you add the all=inclusive before Oct 31. The Los Arcos Suites cost is $87 a day. You can afford to go out when you want.

8. Re: Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 16:17
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

I agree with the statement 'different strokes for different folks'. We prefer AI's since we drink more than usual while on vacation & we like features like included room service, etc. We certainly don't 'eat the same foods everyday' & there isn't a rule requiring to stay at your AI resort 24 hours a day. We still get out & explore & try other restaurants. I completely understand & respect people who prefer non-AI's but they aren't all as bad as some people assume they are.

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Going All Inclusive Crazy ?

I personally would not care for the AI unless I am at a secluded resort. In PV there are so many great places to dine at that have a variety of menus & settings, that it makes every dining experience a new adventure. We love trying new places along with our favorites whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner.