We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico's Independence Day!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
601 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico's Independence Day!

I will be in PV 9/13-9/20. I know the holiday starts on 9/15 and goes through 9/16, but can't find any info yet on events. Anyone have any idea where I could find something out? Has anyone experienced this holiday in PV in years past?

Thanks!

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico's Independence Day!

There are not necessarily events....everyone just heads down to the Malecon and parties! Not sure that there will be a stage or any live music this year, but that is always a possibility and probably will not be announced until last minute. Most people hang out on the Malecon or inside bars/restaurants waiting for the fireworks. Lots of boats park out in the bay out front to get an awesome view of the fireworks. You'll see lots of people dressed in green, white and red- big hats, sparklers, etc. It is mainly a street party. The grito starts about 11:00 pm and once the Mayor has read the Grito and says

"¡Viva la Independencia Nacional!

¡Viva México! ¡Viva México! ¡Viva México!"

Then the big party and fireworks begins.

New England
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico's Independence Day!

I'll be there at the same time. I'm looking forward to taking it all in. The youtube clip "El Grito de Dolores in Puerto Vallarta" looks fantastic, though I don't know if its still that elaborate.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico's Independence Day!

El Grito will be made from the Town Hall balcony overlooking the Plaza.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,878 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico's Independence Day!

Have never done it in Puerto Vallarta but in other Mexican cities and in my local community, with many Mexican nationals and my company sponsoring a huge holiday celebration. We dressed up every year --- it was great. Wonderful music and celebration.

You are very fortunate to be down in PV at that time. Can you come back here later and let us know how it went? Mid-September is hot/humid, as you know.

Someday I'll be down for the "El Grito." Not the same up north. Enjoy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico's Independence Day!

Little trivia.Historically the "El Grito"ended with the phrase"death to the Gachupines"or death to the Spanish.But I guess in this politically correct times it got changed to"Viva Mexico".I learned this because I had to memorize it and recite it for class

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico's Independence Day!

Gachupine I've heard used in a derogatory way to describe the stuck type person who insists they have Spanish heritage, usually a 'chilango'

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexico's Independence Day!

Yes JR,I am very aware you are "a salty foot",Wear that title with pride .

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexico's Independence Day!

Vancouver,

"Yes JR,I am very aware you are "a salty foot",Wear that title with pride ."

Wrong, the term pata salada only applies to the locals born in Puerto Vallarta, not ex-pats.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,878 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexico's Independence Day!

Agree. The term "pata salada" only applies to people born in Puerto Vallarta. Very clear in all my Spanish classes there. JR is a Brit.

No offense JR (JR knows he's a Brit) but Vancouvery Pinoy is just learning Spanish, so we have to help him get the terminology right.

For those of us who have been traveling to PV for decades and who know many "pata saladas" ----- they are sticklers to it. It means one is born in PV. It is a matter of pride. They are truly *proud* to be pata salada, and deserve to be.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 05:36
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexico's Independence Day!

Thank you for correcting me,I was not aware that you had to be born in PV.To be Chilango you only have live there