We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
673 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

We are thinking of doing a food tour on our, first ever, morning in Puerto Vallarta, but someone suggested that we could do our own. I would love it if you could share a simple, food tour that you would do, if you were taking someone around. Not the typical restaurants, but the kind of places that the food tour people go to. Thx

USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

Old Town: El Calamar Aventurero for breakfast on Aquiles Serdan, walk down to the malecon and quench your thirst with some Tuba Water, walk inland on Basilio to Yarita Bakery for a light snack or to take some tasty items back to your condo/hotel, continue a few blocks inland to Marisma Fish Taco (Naranjo/Basilio) for shrimp/fish tacos or quesadillas and then top it all of with a walk down to Los Muertos Brewing for a ham, pineapple, bacon pizza and a cold homemade brew. Naturally, if you stay for several beers you just might be lucky enough that Tako's Panchos is open at that late hour as you head back to the malecon down Basilio...in which case you'd really have no choice but to order at least 5-6 pastor tacos. Good luck surviving that!:-))

2. Re: Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 16:17
Edited: 07 May 2014, 16:17
3. Re: Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 16:17
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,750 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

We don't do tours to speak of. But, I think the main advantage of going with the tour is that the restaurants and carts are ready for you, and the tour is planned for variety with smaller amounts of food. Another thought is that you've specified mornings, and without an actual tour the restaurants won't be ready for you for something other than breakfast foods...I think.

I could recommend what restaurants I think are the best for certain foods, but again they wouldn't be ready for sampling, you would have to order the entire entree. For instance, the Chiles en Nogada entree at Old Town Bistro is the best I've ever had, they make it right with all of the ingredients...no skimping. So, maybe instead you could select a few dishes that interest you from specific restaurants, and have them for dinner throughout your stay...if you don't want to do a tour.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'll be interested to see what others think about being able to do this easily as a sampling tour and of a morning.

Something you could easily do though is use the street cart info below to do your own tour, plus there are other favorite carts people on the forum like a lot.

http://vallartainfo.com/streetfood.html

Edited: 24 April 2014, 16:07
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

I was told last night that the Old Town Bistro is closed and Embarcadero also with Clausurado stickers on the door.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
673 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

Thank you.

KansasPVgirl- We aren't really specifying morning. We just would begin in the morning, around 10:00, or 11:00, as the other food tours begin then. And, we would be interested in small amounts of food, at a number of places.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,750 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

JR - Closed, I wonder what kind of closed that means? For low season or because there is a problem, sounds like a problem?

ntebo - for small amounts, I guess you could ask each place if they would accommodate you on that somehow. Or only order appetizers, but I think you might miss out if you're looking for Mexican foods only.

USA
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry all that much about portions. Get what you want but be sure to bring one of those recycle type grocery bags that the tours give out so you can take your leftovers back with you...assuming you have something to reheat them with.

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,694 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

take a look at

http://vallartainfo.com/streetfood.html

pick some stands---buy one thing so you can eat at the other places--stop inbetween at bar oceana or the monkeys---head for los muertos and get some shrimp on a stick---pick up some dessert at yarita bakery or the churro man

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any suggestions for Do-it-yourself food tour?

The thing is with the food tours, you get more than just food- the guides are very good with local information, points of interest and showing you are around the area. Some stands are only open in the morning, some afternoon and some at night and all close at least one day a week. You can easily wander around and stop at stands and fondas (look for other patrons) and order what you want but the guides will usually explain what the cuts of meat are, the variety of salsas...which is hot and which is not...otherwise you may surprise yourself with an eye or tongue taco :)