We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short term accommodation

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Short term accommodation

I am looking to come to PV this summer for 2-3 weeks. I'm thinking of taking a Spanish course to brush up on my Spanish and also just as an excuse to be back in beautiful PV! I am looking for any suggestions or advice on places to stay for that length of time. I've looked at a few hostels in town (oasis, vallarta sun) and also found a few apartments on airbnb.com. Does anyone have any experience with that site? Or any other suggestions on housing options for 2-3 weeks (doesn't need to be anything fancy as I need it to be on the cheaper side!)? Thanks!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Short term accommodation

Some of the PV Spanish schools also have a homestay option where you can pay to stay with a local Mexican family.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short term accommodation

If you consider a hostel, I can say that Vallarta Sun Hostel is wonderful. I haven't stayed there specifically, but have stayed next door at the Vallarta Sun Hotel for the last 11 years and headed back this fall. A couple of us on this board were witness to the establishment and opening of the hostel a few years ago and they have since received all kinds of awards through the international hosteling association. It is also very convenient to walking all over the south side and easily accessible to all parts of town.

Good luck on furthering your knowledge of Spanish.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short term accommodation

I used airbnb to book a condo for next winter and all went well and then I changed my mind and needed to book something else. They were so good and I got the refund within days of requesting it (except for my airbnb fee which I knew as it was in the terms). So I haven't actually stayed there, but can say I booked with them, they replied to all my questions and emails very quickly and when I needed to cancel, I called and it was done within minutes, so their customer service seemed to be great.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,799 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short term accommodation

Speaking of airbnb.....My husband and I met a woman (Connie) at Langostino's in PV during happy hour one night. She was staying at The Winterhouse Inn and loved it, she's married and was on a solo trip. She found it through airnbn and she spoke very highly of the two men that own the house where she rented a room.

The house is inland on the south side but into the Coloso Colonia I believe. So, it may be or may not be what you want in terms of location.

I ran into Connie again in PV when I was out with a friend and she gave me her e-mail, it was her last night and she was still very happy with the Winterhouse Inn. If you need any information I can e-mail her for you. I see that her review is also the latest review in the link to the listing on airbnb.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Puerto-Vallarta--Mexico?room_types%5B%5D=Private+room

Another place that I think is really cute, simple and nice is Hotel Posada de Roger. Maybe you could make a deal with them on staying for 2 or 3 weeks. I haven't stayed there but I've looked at a lot of rooms and all over and would feel very comfortable there.

It would help more if we had an idea of budget. The Vallarta Sun hostel prices are really low so I'm not sure you would like most places if you can find them at that price, outside of that hostel. So, actual budget would help us a lot.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 04:13
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,799 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short term accommodation

I see the link didn't hook right into the actual listing, but it's at the bottom of that page. The rent is much cheaper than what is reflected on the front of the listing.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short term accommodation

hi,

I have just arrived in PV and am a budget traveler too - I found a place I love, it's a big house in a Mexican area of town, near the fish market. I think there are about ten rooms here and I'm renting one of the cheapest for $350'a month. The place is called angels rest PV (they don't have a website but they seem to use a Facebook page instead). If you can't find the page but are interested, let me know and i can post the phone number.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short term accommodation

Thank you to Emma and Kansas for helping me learn about two more "hidden away" places in PV I've never heard of before. Winterhouse Inn and Angels Rest PV both look very inviting, especially the latter. I found a vrbo link to that that shows some very nice photos.

http://www.vrbo.com/449820

Thanks.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short term accommodation

Hi PVDeb

Those photos seem pretty accurate - the views from up here are pretty awesome. I wanted to mention one other good thing about angel rest - it is about a 2 block walk to the highway which has HEAPS of buses running both ways - down to Mega/walmart etc and in the other direction down to Zona Romantica. As a budget traveler i find this really handy because I don't want to pay for taxis to get up this hill!

Also, I wanted to mention another budget-type place - hotelito rolando (eek! I hope I have that name right!) it's a small place, about five blocks back off the beach and was advertising winter longterm room rates starting at $400 per month on craigslist. It gets great Tripadvisor reviews.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short term accommodation

Yes, I have seen that Hotelito Rolando online before. It does look very interesting. I do keep a list of these "hidden" spots, but with "budget" comes a reminder (for me) that there's no a/c, only fans. I could handle that during winter months, but when I come Oct/Nov, it's still too hot and humid for me to be comfortable, especially sleeping.

I do know exactly where you are now. You are very close to where my "adopted family" live. If you're physically able to do a bit of walking and are interested, just north of you is a beautiful cemetery, the panteon 5 de diciembre. It has some beautiful grave markers and interesting statues.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short term accommodation

LOL ... I just walked by the cemetery five minutes ago, on my way to the market. Thanks for the tip - next time I will go in and have a look around :)