We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about tours.

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
649 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about tours.

Hi there, My husband and I are headed to Puerto Vallarta for 4 nights followed by a week in Sayulita next Tuesday, May 6th (Yay!!) I used to travel to PV with a girlfriend frequently, but haven't been in 20 years, so very excited to see how much it's changed.

1) If we are interested in doing one of the food tours, do we need to book it in advance or can we do it once we're there?

2) The Power Walking Tour sounds right up my alley and think this might be a great first day activity (if I can get my hubby up out of bed...or maybe I'll just do it on my own). I just e-mailed to see if it's available that Wednesday but do you think it's too hot at this time of year to do that tour? Also, I noticed the website said to bring walking shoes and water shoes. If my really good walking sandals are also water shoes will that suffice? I'm trying to pack light, although I will also have a pair of Salomon "amphibious" hiking shoes that I'm wearing on the plane that I could also wear.

3) San Sebastian also sounds amazing! Since we are only in PV for 4 nights, I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to do this tour out of Sayulita so that I don't have to spend an entire day that could be spent in PV to do this. Or do you think if we were to rent a car for a day in Sayulita we could do it on our own? I like the idea of going with a tour for this one because I'm guessing you get a lot of information from the guides that you wouldn't otherwise. I can also ask this in the Sayulita forum, but it doesn't seem to be very active.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. I've been lurking on this forum for months, have JR's maps printed out, a list of a billion restaurants to try, LOL, and a bunch of other tips. I realize we will just barely scratch the surface in such a short time, but it's just an excuse to return!!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,638 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about tours.

2. Be careful about doing that power walk the first day. If you haven't been doing an eliptical or a stair stepper or the like, you could end up not being able to walk much in the following days LOL. I don't speak from experience but I know someone who was very very sore the next day, maybe she'll see this and chime in. You can take it to the bank that it will be hot and sweaty, but it sounds like she takes breaks when people need them.

3. Assuming the tour is offered from Sayulita, it will take longer to get to San Sebastian from Sayulita, as compared to from PV. But, yes you could do it, I'll make a guess that it would take about 45 minutes longer one way.

We haven't done the tour but we've driven ourselves to San Sebastian and we almost saw everything in 5 - 6 hours including driving, but I'm sure a tour would be longer and do a little more than we did. My family wouldn't get going that early, so I missed a couple things.

You really could spend your 4 days in PV right there and find plenty to do. There are so many areas to walk within town, it's addictive for me. For me every street has it's own personality, so I never get bored walking around.

Take a look at the link in blue on the right side of the forum page..."Things to do in PV if you aren't a beach person." That will give you some ideas of what you can do with your time in PV, that isn't spent relaxing on the beach or at the pool.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about tours.

Sylvie will be out of town that week but she told me she has someone else running the Power Walk, I'll check with her.

I would rent a car, recommend Gecko Rentals in Bucerias, to drive to San Sebastian, be sure to eat at Montebello, you'll be amazed, closed Tue & Wed. see my San Sebastian page and say hello for me to Walter & Coco, haven't seen them in ages. :(

Yellowknife, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about tours.

We should go in Aug JR -

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about tours.

You can still book with Sylvie but a young gentleman is running her walks for the next three weeks. We've met him and he's quite knowledgeable. He was on our hike last Thursday. Great guy. He's also a good photographer. He took our pics while out hiking. He was our paparazzi! I've done two hikes to the cross with Sylvie now.... one last November and one last week. The first time I will say it was a challenge because I hadn't worked out properly before I went. Not used to all those stairs and hills. But this time it was just perfect because I had worked out with the elliptical for two months before I went so that gave me the strength I needed. Everyone is different, but this is how I did it. Others on the hike were "hikers" so it was a breeze for them. You will get breaks if you need it and she will pace you. (On the final corner Sylvie grabbed my hand and pulled me as we walked this steep part! We were laughing!!!)

Seriously... I have never liked inclines but I'd do this hike again in a heartbeat. The final prize is so worth it. An amazing memory you will have of PV. And guess what? I'm doing it again in December! So that tells you something right there!

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
657 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about tours.

This is what, Sylvie, wrote to me after inquiring about the difficulty of her power walk.

"Don't let the title, POWER WALK, intimidate you. It's not about the pace we walk, at all, it's all about the hill, which by the way we take at a snail's pace."

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about tours.

That is correct. Have a great time!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
649 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about tours.

Thanks for your responses! I think I will be okay with the incline as I live on the side of a hill here in Seattle and do a lot of walking up and lots of stairs. It's just the heat I'm not used to. My husband is a bit of a heat wimp so not sure he'll want to do it, although he does love a good photo op. It looked like the tour was only offered on Wednesdays, but you said you did yours on a Thursday Deanna? I would much rather not have to commit to doing it the first morning.

As far as driving ourselves to San Sebastian Kansas & JR, I am worried that we'll miss out on all the great information that we'd get from a guide. Do you think it isn't necessary? Since mentioning renting a car out of Bucerias was mentioned I see that there is also a tour company, Scott's Tours that operates out of Bucerias and seems to get good reviews. If I'm still stuck on doing a tour maybe we could take the bus to Bucerias and take the tour out of there? If we did that do you know how late the buses run to get back to Sayulita? Maybe we could have a drink and a snack in Bucerias or dinner before heading back to Sayulita.

What about the food tours, like the evening taco tour? Do you think we could book that once we arrive? Since we're really only there 3 full days I don't want to schedule too much.

We are staying at Casa Dona Susana, if that is helpful.

Thanks!!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,638 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about tours.

If it's a good guide, then I think you would miss out on some great information and conversation that may not even pertain to San Sebastian, but would be fun. Nice thing is you can even ask them all kinds of things you're curious about in Mexico or PV in general.

I only recommend renting a car if you feel comfortable driving in another country with a different language, and where some of the driver's have more guts when passing. You would need more information on insurance and driving in general, and what to do if you get stopped. Did you rent a car in Costa Rica?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about tours.

Gecko Car Rental will deliver the car to you for US$20. The power Walk will not continue during the rainy season, it's gets too slippery with the algae build up.

I really doubt you'll miss much information about San Sebastian without a guide, it's all available online, any specific questions ask Coco she was born and grew up there.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about tours.

The hike is always in the mornings because of the heat. Ours was at 9:00am. I can't take the heat either, lol. Take water and you can also wear a hat to deflect the heat. We all drank our water gone and were close to a store on one street, so all bought more water. We did the hike on Thursday. That's her usual day. But I can also say she can be flexible and do it on a different day if she decides. So if that is your request you need to write to her directly.

P.S. If this helps your husband... tell him to take a wash rag (face towel) from the hotel and use it as his sweat towel. Tell him I had one from Playa and I was the only one on my hike that did. I think ahead haha.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 20:59