We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

Hello, first I want to say that I am so grateful for this forum and I have learned so much that has helped me plan my first trip to PV, and every time I get on here I just get more excited about my trip! I have gotten wonderful advice on dining, and I am looking forward to trying many of the restaurants that have been recommended.

With my trip coming up in just over a week, I am wondering if anyone has any last minute tips or ideas for me? I will be staying at Villa Premiere for a week. I don't have a whole lot planned, I was thinking of a day trip to Sayulita, a trip to the zoo and maybe the canopy river tour if that works out. If not, no big deal.

For anyone reading this, what was your favorite activity in PV? Was there something that really stood out to you, or that you wish you would have done more of? What do you look forward to most when you go back? Oh, I am also hoping to get a massage. I checked out the Metamorfosis website because I heard such good things, but I may need to stick with something a little bit less expensive. I know I sound cheap, but I booked this trip back in February, and have had some unexpected financial stuff come up so I have to keep on a budget.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

I would add a day trip to Yelapa. Something like 8 or 9:00am to 3-4:00pm. It's a sweet little village that can only be reached by water taxi. No cars are there. Everything transported by hand or mule. A very fun place to walk around and lie on the beach and you can do it on the cheap. Take a water Iaxi from Los Muertos pier or ride a bus to Boca de Tomatlan and catch the water taxi there (cheaper version). Its my very favorite place to spend the day.

Make sure to buy a piece of home made pie from Chelly "the pie lady" on Yelapa's beach. Yum! Also, walk through the little village to the waterfall and see all the houses, children playing, clothes on a line, roosters, cross over a little bridge, church on the left (go in it), Javier's open aired "handmade" rosewood shop, etc. Just an all around special place.

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

To each their own, I am not a big fan of Yelapa, been there done it, ticked it off my list !

Sayulita I visit every time we are in PV & never tire of it. If you can fit it into a Friday they have a market on the main street that is worth a visit. Not sure if market will still be on in the shoulder season? Maybe someone will know ? Visit the churro guy at the bridge, not as good as the one at LA Cruz church but a close second.

Have a great trip, report back afterwards.

3. Re: Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 18:41
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,901 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

I have been to PV so many times over the years, and yet there will always be something I didn't get to do more of. That's why it's so great, you have so many choices and always something new.

I look forward the most to simply walking around town and soaking it all in again... the sounds, the smells, the people, and every single street that I can walk down. It's the easiest, and the most budget friendly and delightful thing you can do imo.

No trip would be complete for me without going south by bus more than once. Yelapa, which Deana mentioned above, is also a favorite of mine as is Boca de Tomatlan and Mismaloya Beach.

Don't forget to stay hydrated, it's easy to forget. My cousin's partner scared the heck out of us, he passed out the morning of his second day... because he had just plain old forgot to hydrate on his day of travel. Luckily he was sitting down!

Edited: 07 May 2014, 14:42
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,304 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

spend a day at los muertos beach---a lot of action going on. on los muertos, there is a couple luigi and rosie---rosie gives the best massage and really reasonable(if you're still wanting a massage)

walking the town costs nada---you can pick and choose what you spend.

I also like hopping on the buses and beachhopping.

don't forget your Tuesday meetup at pour favor.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

I also would recommend a trip to Yelapa for the day. Cheap too, 8 pesos for the scenic bus ride to Boca de Tomatlan (Tip: sit on the right going south), 70 pesos water taxi to Yelapa. Beach restuarants are more expensive than the little ones in the village. Last water taxi back is around 4:30-5pm.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

Thanks everyone! I will definitely stay hydrated! Water and sunscreen are priorities (my legs have not seen the sun in a loooong time. I feel bad for anyone who looks at me in the sun without their shades on!) Yelapa sounds lovely...I will check it out. The baby animals are on my list. My "inner eight-year-old" has been jumping up and down screaming "I wanna pet a baby tiger!" for awhile now. I will absolutely be posting a trip report when I get back!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,624 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

Enjoy your 1st trip. I hope you love PV as much as we all do!!!

Everyone has their own vacation style. I have yet to do any formal tour or activity in 20+ trips to PV.

I just like to kick around town, go exploring on foot in the central areas, ride the bus, go to the beach, read by the pool, watch sunsets, take some Zumba classes, maybe find a local event or two to attend (book signings, Southside Shuffle, farmers markets, gallery openings, etc.).

-suze

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

I like to go to Bucerias. From the VP you would take the bus to the Walmart and then take it from there. You get off and there is a guy with a clip board to tell you which bus if you're not sure. It's such a nice little town with a very nice beach. There are some great little restaurants (and an amazing taco cart just off the square). We like to eat right on the beach and then go play in the water there. The beaches are much better than right in PV and I find the shopping to be a little cheaper.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any last minute recommendations, leaving in 10 days!

Walk around and explore the area. The malecon is a nice walk from the Villa Premier.

If you take the bus to Boca sit on the side opposite of the driver...that way you see the ocean views along the way. I hate to say the "right" side as it will depend which is your right side if you are facing or sitting...so just sit opposite of the driver if you are heading south. Sit on the driver's side when heading north :)

If you do a canopy tour I do recommend the Los Veranos tour- plus they have monkeys to play with :)

If you are not staying A/I there are lots of places to dine....try El Baracuda next to the Buenaventura... they have great food, reasonable price. If you like Shrimp Burritos- walk up ave, Las Americas in front of the Sheraton- it is the street with the stop light that heads inland along the Sport's Stadium. Go to La Burrita Marinera. Awesome shrimp burritos for only 55 Pesos. As good as Tacon de Marlin and cheaper :)

Have fun and come back and tell us about your trip :)