We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing nothing!!

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
654 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Doing nothing!!

We just got in yesterday evening. We had some chips and guacamole and beers on the beach, walked and walked and walked, had dinner at No Way Jose which we just happened upon (forgot my list of restaurants). Today we had breakfast at Fredy's Tucan after totally sleeping in, walked around some more, got some beverages for our room (staying at Casa Doña Susana). Now we are just hanging out by the rooftop pool reading before heading out to do some more exploring by foot. We are only here 3 full days before a week in Sayulita. I had all these plans in my head about activities every day but now feel like we might end up doing practically nothing!!! Does this happen to anyone else?? I usually like to do do all sorts of activities but there is so much to see just walking around!! I haven't been here in almost 20 years. P.S. Sorry for the long post, also about nothing, LOL.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,718 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing nothing!!

I never do anything!!! I've been doing "nothing" in Puerto Vallarta for over 20 years of vacations. Only difference is I know going in I'm not going to do anything so I have no plans in the first place. :) suze

new york
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing nothing!!

The only plans we ever make are where to have margaritas and where to eat.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing nothing!!

" I usually like to do do all sorts of activities but there is so much to see just walking around!!"

If your feet could talk, they would tell you that this is an activity lol.

It's a great town with a charm that can't be denied, and it's a lot to absorb. I've been going pretty routinely for 24 years, and I MUST walk all over that town on every single visit.

Enjoy!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,308 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing nothing!!

Actually ---- I think it happens to many of us. That's why I've always had a "next-time-list" but we've been going so long that we don't do any organized tours or anything like that. We go for the relaxation and climate and people.

Our main activity is just wandering around town and seeing what's going on. We gave up the beach-scene a few years back (we're into "the walking and wandering around all areas of town" scene --- with a little time at the pool).

It's truly impossible to keep up with an activity-list in the Vallarta area, unless it's some sort of "bucket-list" and you plan to only be there once. There is so much. It's a place that will keep calling you back so if you had something in mind "this trip" and you decided to do nothing that day (highly acceptable), just come back in a few months and try to do it then.

I have a lot of friends in PV (having gone down for years, taking Spanish and meeting a lot of ex-pats in my classes) so the top of my list each trip is to see my friends. That doesn't always work either.

Here's a line that some of my ex-pat friends use (and you can use it too). They say, "People back home always ask me what I do down here. I tell them, 'I don't know but it takes me all day to do it.'" Every time someone says something like that to me, it gets me laughing. Because it's true. ;=))

Have fun doing nothing. It's your vacation and you can do (or not do) anything you want.

Enjoy.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
654 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doing nothing!!

Yes and I forgot how much I loved it here!! It's something that can't really explained. I guess we'll just have to come back multiple times. I used to come here yearly in my 20s and early 30s. I was a little wilder then and mainly just wanted to drink and tan. Now I still want to drink and tan but I appreciate the history and culture more. Off to explore!!

Missouri
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doing nothing!!

I had big plans for our 10 day trip last October. But, then once we landed we did more nothing than anything else, and loved every minute of it!

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doing nothing!!

I never have plans or lists or activities lined up to do. I let nature take its course and do whatever or go wherever the day takes me.

USA
Level Contributor
599 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Doing nothing!!

My last trip, I checked in early afternoon and went straight to bed for 12+ hours...and loved every minute of it! The beauty of Mexico is the pace...amongst countless other things.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
519 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Doing nothing!!

When anyone asks what we do there,I say" We eat and sleep and shop and sit around and talk." The big question is "Where are we going to dinner?" Usually, this starts being discussed at breakfast.Then are we eating in or out- where? In our group, the ones that aren't old are tired so we live a low key life in PV.

Danvers...
Level Contributor
901 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doing nothing!!

Yup busy all day and night doing pretty much nothing except walking, eatting, drinking, shopping and talking to who ever we meet. Think it's called vacation without stress.