We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying peso in usa

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lancaster ohio
Level Contributor
287 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Buying peso in usa

Heading to mexico in a few weeks we can buy pesos at our local bank at. .082206 per 1 us dollars is that a good deal and no fees for transaction.Or should we buy in mx thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,927 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying peso in usa

Bank rate posted today is 1.00 MXN = 0.0772797 USD and you will get close to that using an ATM in Mexico (depending on any fees your home bank imposes). You'll get not quite that good of a rate changing cash for cash at a cambio.

huntingdon valley PA
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying peso in usa

That is a 6% fee. Use ATM In PV with a debit card that has no fee. Get enough pesos to get started from your local source as a convenience. Have fun!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
698 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying peso in usa

Bank of America charges no fees if you buy $1,000 worth before you go.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
936 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying peso in usa

Chase Bank has no fee if you have an account with them. I always change my money before leaving. Just so much easier. Only once did I have money left to change it back to dollars when I returned home. No fee for that either. I got the day I changed it current exchange rate both times.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,927 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying peso in usa

<<Bank of America charges no fees if you buy $1,000 worth before you go.>>

But they don't give the favorable exchange rate you'd get on the ground in Mexico (do they?)

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
294 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying peso in usa

Suze, you are correct. BofA's exchange rate is below that of the daily rate. I just did the calculations on that last week. True, there is no fee, but they make it up in the exchange rate.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 03:24
North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying peso in usa

We use a debit card at the banks at Peninsula Plaza where we stay and withdraw what amounts to $500usd and pay an$11.00 fee.The exchange rate was at 12to1 so we received appx.$6000 pesos.

Thats using a Visa debit card.

Michael

8. Re: Buying peso in usa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:16