We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean swimming/jellyfish

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean swimming/jellyfish

I am hearing about a lot of jellyfish in the ocean and that swimming in the ocean is not safe. Anyone know if this is seasonal? Do jellyfish numbers rise this time of year in PV? When does is subside? Thx

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean swimming/jellyfish

It's not seasonal, they may be around for a time, recently when we had a short Red Tide incident, but then they are gone. No recent reports that I've heard.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean swimming/jellyfish

I have been checking TA forums for the hotel I booked as well as the two tours we plan to go on. The Marietas Island TA forum is reporting not to even bother booking as you can't even go in the water. as well as the Las Caletas TA page, lots of reports of jellyfish :(

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean swimming/jellyfish

But when, what date were those posts ?, they seldom hang around much, somewhat slaves of the currents.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean swimming/jellyfish

As this is my first vacation in over a decade, I have been a little obsessed with checking the TA pages for daily updates and everyday I read about jellyfish! I will be very disappointed to not be swimming in the ocean!

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean swimming/jellyfish

I've been in PV for the last 10 days and have swam in the ocean almost every day without seeing a single jellyfish.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean swimming/jellyfish

Lynda K,

The only pages that really count are the current pages.

As JR said they came in really heavy with the last red tide and when the red tide moved out so did the jellyfish.

What you were reading about was a heavy invasion that came into the bay with the ted tide (which is what they feed on). The red tide is now gone and so are the jellyfish. That doesn't mean that there could not be another red tide, but that is up to mother nature and totally unpredictible.

We are out on the water daily and have not seen any. There are no guarantees in the ocean, but in 25-years I have never been stung. We get jelly fish and red tide in So. California too, I grew up here and have never been stung.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean swimming/jellyfish

Thx for the info!

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,442 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean swimming/jellyfish

you will be able to swim in the ocean. they come---they go

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
672 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean swimming/jellyfish

We are here now and people are swimming at all the beaches that we have visited, for the past 4 days. Yesterday we were in the water at Sayulita and Bucerias. All seemed well with a lot of laughing and splashing and frolicking in the water.

10. Re: Ocean swimming/jellyfish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 05:17