We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A place like Puerto Vallarta

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericton, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A place like Puerto Vallarta

Last year I travelled to Puerto Vallarta and I loved it! However, getting there was inconvenient, as I live on the east coast of Canada.

Can anyone recommend a place with the same vibe as PV closer to home?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
302 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A place like Puerto Vallarta

I'm not sure if anything on the east coast would have the same PV vibe, but many people, like myself, like to travel to Playa del Carmen in addition to PV. Have you done any research on that area? We really love it, and being from the midwest, it's a quick and cheap flight. When I first travelled to Playa, I compared everything to PV and thought that I didin't like it as much. Then, when I went back to PV, I started comparing it to the things I liked about Playa. Now, I just love them both for different reasons. If you love the city feel of PV, then I would definitly recommend staying near 5th Ave. We absolutely love it there, and Playa has a very active forum as well. :-)

Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A place like Puerto Vallarta

I've been to Cancun, Riviera Maya, Acapulco and Huatulco, and none compare to Puerto Vallarta! The friendliness of the people, the restaurants, shopping, weather, value, and fun factor just can't be beat! Love not having to rent a car, too. Will be coming back for our 13th visit next week!

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A place like Puerto Vallarta

We've traveled extensively and some years ago decided Vallarta was to be our winter haven primarily because we feel there is no place quite like it.

Have you tried the Bahamas?

The flights should be more convenient for you.

Michael

Ont.Canada
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A place like Puerto Vallarta

St.Johns, NL is very nice. Good size city, lots of local culture, very artistic, great food, tons of bars/restaurants & of course the nicest people in the world. Should be relatively easy & inexpensive to get to ?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
997 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A place like Puerto Vallarta

Besides Playa Del Carmen and the surrounding area I have heard that Isla Mujeres is quite nice. Sometimes reading through the TA forums can give you a feel for a place.

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
590 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A place like Puerto Vallarta

Not sure you will find the same kind of place as Puerto Vallarta elsewhere except on the same Pacific coast of Mexico, and even then Acapulco for instance is nothing like PV.

You might consider flying with Sunwing Airlines on their "Champagne Flight". They have a few direct flights to PV each week from Toronto and are reasonably priced.

Also Consider that with PV being such a budget destination, what you pay extra for in normal Airfare to PV will surely be made up for in cheaper hotels, restaurants, and activities..

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A place like Puerto Vallarta

The only place I've found to be a little like PV is Isla Mujeres. It's a very very small island, but it has that friendly hustle and bustle vibe that PV has, and the locals and tourists rub shoulders almost as much. But, it is really small. The town part is located on the north end of the island, and is great for walking. The entire island is darling.

The only thing I found similar in Playa del Carmen to PV, was good restaurants and shopping. 5th ave. which is pedestrian only, is Playa del Carmen's Malecon, except it's isn't anything like PV's at all. The tourists walk back and forth on 5th ave. and don't leave it much, and you don't see Mexican's on 5th ave. unless they're working. So, there isn't the shoulder rubbing like there is in PV. Also no beach vendors. :-(

I would look at more places in the Bahamas and the Caribbean. I do know that people love Puerto Rico's old town, but it's US and you may not be looking for that.

I can understand your fare would be really high coming from your locale, but one thing that could help with visiting PV, is not to stay in such high end places, whether you are going on a package or not.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A place like Puerto Vallarta

Curious - are there beach vendors in Cancun??

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A place like Puerto Vallarta

yes there are beach vendors---not as many as pv----and I don't think they are licensed and set up as in pv.

to answer the pv---we also got issues getting to pv---but I find in all my Caribbean travels---ain't no place compares---so I suffer the flights 2 and this year 3x a year

Edited: 14 May 2014, 15:38
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A place like Puerto Vallarta

I would try Isla Mujueres or Puerto Morelos. PM is a small town and there are many locals. Some great condos there as well. You have access to ruins, cenotes, beautiful beaches and great people. We love both sides, so alternate our trips and get a few trips to Mexico each year so are lucky we can get all over.