We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo in July

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo in July

Hello!

I'm a 26 year old female traveling to Puerto Vallarta solo for the entire month of July. Any advice on things that I should do?

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo in July

Do things that you like to do. All kidding aside, it's a bit of a generic question which can be hard for strangers to answer without knowing what it is you like to do.

I would definitely recommend reading the Top Questions section on the right, and some of the information on the Things To Do page to get a sense of what's out there for activities and such.

Remember you're going in summer season so there will be some activities not available (such as whale watching) and others running limited schedules, as the low season usually means not as busy.

If you have anything specific you want to do, maybe mention it here so we can point you in a direction. I mean, if you love hiking but have a fear of boats there's no point in telling you to go on a diving tour, right? This is what I mean by giving us an idea what you like to do and what you don't.

Help us, help you. (-:

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo in July

Do you know where you will be staying?? That would probably help too -

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo in July

Definitely.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,875 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo in July

Pick up the local English-language newspapers that will have a calendar section and announcements of local events. I've gone to things like gallery openings, book signings, shop and street parties. You'll find various tours you could do (like the free one of Tuesday mornings about the Malecon statues, for example). The Saturday Farmers Markets.

Of course there's all manner of paid activities for tourists like ziplines, banana boats, parasailing, snorkeling cruises. There are tours you could go to another town or village overnight (Superior Tours).

I take Zumba classes all around PV, because that's an interest of mine at home. Great way to meet people. So if you have a personal interest, hobby or passion, try to make connections in PV to pursue that (art, crafts, charitable work, animal rescue, etc.)

suze

Edited: 16 May 2014, 17:37
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo in July

We might need more information about what you like to do.

I travel alone much of the time and did travel for the month of July (sola) recently. Be prepared for rain and puddles.

Many of the tours that usually go on in high season (not sure what your interests are) do not go on, in July. There is still plenty to do. Suze's suggestion of getting the local papers is something I always do also, as soon as I hit town. However, some do not publish during the summer season but have an online option. The PVMirror doesn't put out a paper (in paper) in the summer.

For "things to do," definitely check out the BayVallarta Magazine, which you can find online before your trip.

www.bayvallarta.com

Puerto Vallarta is still active in the summer but it's much different from high season or even Spring and Fall. July is a time where you can really get to know the locals and enjoy the weather (lightning storms, and warm rain) and feel you are part of the town. I've done many trips during the summer (mostly August) and enjoyed that special season. It's a time when you don't have to worry about your hair or anything, in case it starts raining while you're walking everywhere.

The "should-do's" are to just get out and walk all over town, if you're staying for a month. Make sure to have shoes that will suit you and support your feet (no leather) if going into puddles --- something sturdy that won't slip if you jump off a bus into a wet area.

One time, I jumped off a bus in a rain storm in PV, with rushing water half way to my knee. It was a great day. Warm rain. Soaking wet. Fun.

It won't rain every day like that --- most days will be sunny --- but do be prepared with shoes that can handle that (if it happens) and enjoy the summer in Vallarta. Walking all over the place is my favorite pastime in Vallarta --- when you do that, you will find plenty to do. Take the buses and walk.

Enjoy your trip and welcome to the forum.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo in July

Thanks so much! I have no idea what I want to do.

I love yoga so I wouldn't mind finding some yoga classes. I also think volunteer work would be great. I'm a teacher and will probably miss not being around kids for that long.

It is a generic question but I was hoping for responses like this!! Thank you I was so glad to hear about your experience! So excited!

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo in July

Thank you so much!! I will get the paper when I get there!! :-)

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo in July

I was just looking in general I guess if anyone had a similar experience. But now.. that you mention it... I would love volunteering with children ( I'm a kindergarten teacher).. I love yoga and would love a very low-key yoga studio (nothing fancy). Renting a bike would be cool too.

I wouldn't mind a language course either... or a tutor.. I'm Mexican-American and I'm literally one of the only people in my family who does not speak Spanish.

Also, I could sit at a coffee place for hours literally not doing much. Know of the best place to get coffee there? Finally, for lack of better words.. Are there any "hipster type" places.. I wouldn't say I'm a hipster per se... but I tend to enjoy divey hipster bars and coffee shops.

I apologize in advanced if this post is coming off as idiotic.. I am home with a flu and it all currently makes sense in my mind. :-)

PS- I rented an apartment near " Zona Romantica"

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,095 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo in July

There are numerous places to sit at sidewalk eatery's, order coffee or other items, and people watch. A good one because you see what's going on at all 4 corner's is at Vayan Cafe on the corner of Basilio Badillo and Olas Altas. They also have wifi.

Then if you walk south on either side of the street on Olas Altas, you'll come across numerous places to sit on the sidewalk. And look down the side streets too. You'll find Olas Altas on the south side map in the link below. The maps are in order N to S.

vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

I'm not sure what you mean by hipster at 26 years old, but El Patio de Mi Casa comes to mind. I haven't been there but have paid attention to those who have. It is reportedly a very laid back place and they often have jazz. My impression from what others have told me is that it's not a "bar scene" at all, they say it's like being in someone's living room, so it's easy to socialize.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d1…

10. Re: Solo in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 18:37